LMDE Users: Debian Squeeze Released

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
randomizer

Re: LMDE Users: Debian Squeeze Released

Post by randomizer »

thomasmc wrote:Any ideas why something like that would be UNINSTALLED during an upgrade?
If you use apt-get dist-upgrade or aptitude full-upgrade you may find that packages are removed during an upgrade. Both of these upgrade methods are more aggressive than apt-get upgrade or aptitude upgrade and will remove packages to satisfy dependencies if necessary. The latter two will hold back upgrades to certain packages if resolving dependencies would require removing others. This is just one of the downsides to using a rolling or pseudo-rolling release distro like Debian Testing. Aptitude is better for "aggressive" upgrades IMO, because it often provides multiple alternative upgrade paths to resolve dependencies if you don't accept the first, while apt-get does not.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

omns wrote:
thomasmc wrote:Any ideas why something like that would be UNINSTALLED during an upgrade?
I'd imagine that this will be one of the many little bugs that will occur when staying with the testing repos.
If a 'new' version of an App or Lib is out ... the Update Manager will install the new version, only after uninstalling the old version.

Not everything is upgradeable ... sometimes, you need to replace it.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

If the package is re-installed in the newer version directly after removing, I should not worry about a package being removed.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

KLonsdale wrote:Thanks for the heads up, right now I have set mintUpdate to accept only Level 1 and level 2 updates.
That's a really good idea! Thanks.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

you shouldn't really. This way you are just updating some apps and not the base system, it's fine for a while but not as a standard procedure, because with time the updated apps will depend on newer libs that you don't have on your system.
That's at least the way i understand it :) but if someone can come up with a better approach, better.
thomasmc

Post by thomasmc »

AlbertP wrote:If the package is re-installed in the newer version directly after removing, I should not worry about a package being removed.
It didn't. It didn't even tell me it was removing it. I had to open Synaptic and reinstall it manually when I discovered it was gone.
thomasmc

Post by thomasmc »

zerozero wrote:you shouldn't really. This way you are just updating some apps and not the base system, it's fine for a while but not as a standard procedure, because with time the updated apps will depend on newer libs that you don't have on your system.
That's at least the way i understand it :) but if someone can come up with a better approach, better.
You shouldn't really WHAT?
I can't tell what you are talking about.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I also do not understand everything from this conversation.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

antiquexray wrote:
KLonsdale wrote:Thanks for the heads up, right now I have set mintUpdate to accept only Level 1 and level 2 updates.
That's a really good idea! Thanks.
zerozero wrote:you shouldn't really. This way you are just updating some apps and not the base system, it's fine for a while but not as a standard procedure, because with time the updated apps will depend on newer libs that you don't have on your system.
:mrgreen: sometimes i forget that we have to draw the all picture :lol:
grwebguy

Post by grwebguy »

t3g wrote:Will there be a new respin released soon that contains everything in the full and final Debian 6.0 release? Would be nice for people grabbing LMDE in the near future and not having to download a lot of updates to get up to speed. They can just download the new respin based on 6.0 stable and go from there.
+1 on this. In light of Ubuntu's money grab makes LMDE the best replacement, if the installation could go a little more smoothly. The current spin requires the command line apt to make a working desktop.

Wouldn't hurt to make suggestions for how to partition the disk in the installer either.
casey972oo

Re: LMDE Users: Debian 6.o.1a ' Squeeze ' Released ! ...

Post by casey972oo »

Hi there ... everybody ! ...

there is allready a brand new release of Debian ' Squeeze ' ! ... version 6.o.1a ! ....
but the '.iso'-files ... burned on CD/DvD ... didn't work on my netbooks ! ... so I can't tell anything ! ...
nicer the 32-bit- ... nicer the 64-bit-version .. did work ! ...

don't know ... ' Debian ' ... ain't easy to go along with ! ... but I keep trying ! ...

maxmir

Post by maxmir »

thomasmc wrote:
You shouldn't really WHAT?
You shouldn't really WHAT? WHAT?

Return to “LMDE Archive”