Ubuntu user trying out Mint and liking it -- a lot

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mander

Ubuntu user trying out Mint and liking it -- a lot

Post by Mander »

Hello to all readers and posters-

My name is Amanda (shortened to Mander for online purposes) and I'm from lovely New York State. I came to Linux because of a bad experience with Vista after I was given a laptop by my husband as a surprise. I had been hearing a lot about Linux before then, but the Vista thing was enough to push me over the edge. I've been using Ubuntu since 2007, release 7.04, and have been very happy. I chose Ubuntu specifically because of the forum support, and I am hopeful that this forum will be equally as welcoming and edifying.

I'm currently running Isadora because that was the distro I had on hand a few days ago when I got restless and wanted to try something new: I had burned 9 last year and had tried it, briefly, but had set it aside when other things came up and I couldn't commit to fiddling with a new OS. My most recent Ubuntu release was 10.10, and frankly, I was experiencing a few bugs.

I am really pleased with my 2.5 days of using Mint so far. I actually have to admit that I felt quite foolish trying to figure out how to enable multiverse, the restricted extras, the "good/bad/ugly" set, and all that other stuff. After enough reading, it dawned on me that those steps weren't necessary. What a great surprise!

I hope to see more of this place over the coming weeks as I figure out the LibreOffice thing and fine-tune the workings of this great OS.

I know this is a purely stupid thing to say, but it must be known: green is SO much better than orange. I'm very pleased with the color scheme.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: Ubuntu user trying out Mint and liking it -- a lot

Post by vrkalak »

Welcome to LinuxMint and the Mint Forums.

"We are Borg . . . uh, er . . . LinuxMint. You will be assimilated ... resistance is futile." :lol:

We has cookies!! :P

Glad you are enjoying LinuxMint - thus far . . . hope your stay with us is long and prosperous.
Fandangio

Post by Fandangio »

Heh Mander, Welcome.

The support here is excellent, but it's worth remembering that you can still use the Ubuntu forums if you need help.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Welcome to the Mint forums Mander. You will find a lot of information and help from some very enthusiastic and knowledgeable Mint users. I'm sure you will also want to visit our Mint Community Website at http://community.linuxmint.com/. You will find real-time help in our IRC channels. Just go to Menu>Internet>XChat IRC and when you open it you will automatically be taken to our #linuxmint-chat and #linuxmint-help channels. Have fun with Mint.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello Mander,
Welcome to Mint Forum
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=38355
jesica

Post by jesica »

welcome to the forum
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

welcome to the uncluttered world of MINT...... Flavour of the year

wizard
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

Yep, welcome to the forum!
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
Robin

Post by Robin »

For simplicity, beauty, elegance, and ease with speed and low demands on my hand-me-down hardware, nothing beats Linux Mint (Xfce edition) right "out of the box!" It's amazing that something so awesome is just out there for anyone to get and use for free!

Last summer in one of my wild obsessions, I spent the better part of three months building my own custom-made perfect-just-for-me Linux (Debian, Xfce, selected software). But it took three months, alot of searching and researching, trial and error, and a few temper tantrums to finally get something that worked on my hardware and did what I needed it to... and what I had created after all that work was actually little different from Xubuntu in the end! All that work, all that frustration - and it had already been done for me! Linux Mint's Xfce spin is even better! Safer, faster, prettier, and simpler even than Xubuntu was! It's so cool that Linux is just getting better and better all the time.

So welcome to the Mint community! Enjoy!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”