Thunderbird as default e-mail client

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wiksten

Thunderbird as default e-mail client

Post by wiksten »

Hi!
I wonder if you could help me with some lm-fluxbox tinkering?

I would like to use thunderbird as default e-mail client for lm9-fluxbox so that i get a notification when i recieve a new e-mail. Is this possible to manage and how?

All the best,
Jonathan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Thunderbird as default e-mail client

Post by viking777 »

Well I have never achieved it (which is NOT the same as saying it cant be done). I do have a workround though, but you might find it too complicated to bother with, it consists of this.

1) Get a gmail account

2) Install checkgmail

3) Go to your ISP's mail account settings and set up a message rule to forward a copy of all your mail to your gmail account (you should be able to choose to leave the message on the server as well if you wish).

4) Add

Code: Select all

checkgmail &
to your ~/.fluxbox/startup file.

This way you get a notification every time there is an email and you can choose to open it in google mail or thunderbird whichever you prefer. It has the advantage that you have an automatic backup of all your mail on google's servers.

Probably not at all what you are looking for, but it does work, I have been using it for years.
wiksten

Re: Thunderbird as default e-mail client

Post by wiksten »

nice, seems to have worked perfectly, thanks a lot

Return to “Software & Applications”