Lock up (of 3 machines) at login after update (given up)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Mad_Sunday

Lock up (of 3 machines) at login after update (given up)

Post by Mad_Sunday »

This has happened to 3 different PC's 2 (laptops and a netbook) running LMDE. After updating yesterday they ALL now lockup (touchpad and keyboard) at the login prompt.

Any ideas?

Pete
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
epikal

Re: Lock up (of 3 machines) at login after update

Post by epikal »

I reinstalled yesterday and it did not go smoothly.
If I allow Mint Update to apply all the required updates it will freeze when it gets to updating gdm3, which may be related to your issue.

I had to use 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to fix this.

I does appear to me something broke in the last couple of days updates.
Mad_Sunday

Post by Mad_Sunday »

gotjaz, that other post refers to a "blank" screen, I'm getting the normal login screen but it just locks up completely after putting the normal user name in the box (the system puts it in not me). I don't get any way of getting to a terminal or shell. I only do the upgrades suggested, I don't have any cutting edge kernel etc. that I'm aware of.

Pete
Mad_Sunday

Post by Mad_Sunday »

epikal wrote:I reinstalled yesterday and it did not go smoothly.
If I allow Mint Update to apply all the required updates it will freeze when it gets to updating gdm3, which may be related to your issue.

I had to use 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to fix this.

I does appear to me something broke in the last couple of days updates.
Thanks epikal, I used the recovery mode from grub to try this fix, it seemed to accept the command ok and typing startx got me to the root desktop but it's still locked up as far as the keyboard and touchpad is concerned, ie I can't do anything and have to turn it off.

Pete
Mad_Sunday

Post by Mad_Sunday »

Given up on this and installed Mint 10.

Pete
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Mad_Sunday wrote:Given up on this and installed Mint 10.

Pete
Can't say i blame you...i didn't get messed up on what you experienced..instead (if you check my thread) i got my VLC media player knocked out and can't put it back on and it seemed to mess up one of my other video players as well...I was thinking about doing the same as you did (go back to regular Mint 10) far less problems in general....Now that testing is starting to "flow" we start to see how things really will be...seems to require a lot more tinkering...i just want a system that basically "works" :wink:
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Lock up (of 3 machines) at login after update (given up)

Post by rdonnelly »

Man, after reading all these upgrade problems, I am glad I cloned my root partitions, and also glad that I have not rebooted since recent updates. I will keep my fingers crossed that I do not have to reboot. :|
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I re-installed Mint 10 Main Edition...i feel so much more relaxed now :) ...In my opinion, while the concept of "rolling distro" is great, in reality, too many headaches :roll:

It was an interesting experience but not for me...
dbkblk

Post by dbkblk »

The more relaxing solution is to install Debian Squeeze and use the Mint repositories : )
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

dbkblk wrote:The more relaxing solution is to install Debian Squeeze and use the Mint repositories : )
Ultimately, Mint Main Edition and the other ubuntu based versions of mint could end up as such if Clem should decide in the future to move away from the ubuntu base...he could simply have the install disc give you the option of setting you up with that or the debian testing set-up... :wink:

For the meantime, i think i will just stay with main edition until that happens (if it happens) :)
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

Looks like the problem has been solved http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 45#p388045
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB

Return to “LMDE Archive”