Getting LMDE to play nice with Grub 2

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Nanoduck

Getting LMDE to play nice with Grub 2

Post by Nanoduck »

My computer is set up to multi-boot between Windows and different Linux distros. So far I have Windows and Ubuntu on my computer. I installed LMDE into a logical partition sda6, formatted with EXT 4. I didn't opt to install GRUB when installing. I keep GRUB 2 on a partition of its own. I was able to update the GRUB menu and have LMDE added to the boot menu....however it doesn't boot. Something about not being able to find a file, and drops me off at a prompt.

I am looking forward to using LMDE, it looks like an awesome distro, however, I need to make it play nice with Grub 2. Any suggestions on how I can edit the config file to make it boot?

I will try to post more information if needed.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lauren

Re: Getting LMDE to play nice with Grub 2

Post by lauren »

Hi!
You could read through Seeley's "Quickly get help":
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 366328/url
Please post the output of "findGrub".
StanTheMan

Post by StanTheMan »

I have LMDE installed , and I am using Ubuntu Maverick as my permanent bootloader.
When I installed LMDE , aferr seleting the mount point for partitions , I selected the MBR to be written to the LMDE root partition. This way the bootlist files are sert up in the LMDE /boot/grub directory , but the previious MBR is untouched.
Next I re-boot Ubuntu Maveerick , and run in Terminal " sudo update-grub " , and Maverick will search the drive and list your new LMDE installation.
There is also a wa t edit /etc/grub.d/40_custom , to make the boot list easier to read, but I won't get into that here.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

I installed LMDE into a logical partition sda6, formatted with EXT 4. I didn't opt to install GRUB when installing. I keep GRUB 2 on a partition of its own.
this means the partition by itself is not bootable
I was able to update the GRUB menu and have LMDE added to the boot menu....however it doesn't boot. Something about not being able to find a file, and drops me off at a prompt.
What is the boot loader that is controlling your MBR?

What was the update you did to your GRUB menu?
I am looking forward to using LMDE, it looks like an awesome distro, however, I need to make it play nice with Grub 2.
LMDE is by default using Grub2 version 1.98. It played well with any distros that is also using Grub2 as well as any windows OS.
Any suggestions on how I can edit the config file to make it boot?
Is that a grub2 , grub legacy , windows ntldr, or other boot loader?
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here from Newbie Questions
lauren

Post by lauren »

lauren wrote:Hi!
You could read through Seeley's "Quickly get help":
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 366328/url