installing quake wars.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Is it set as an executable?
If so then use terminal to run it sudo ./file-extension.run
You have to have terminal open then run the command.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

make it executable
sudo chmod 555 ./quake.run

then run (some times you need to tell it to run as a script with sh shell command)

sudo sh ./quake.run

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

okay I have downloaded it and it wasn't executable.
Once I made it executable I ran it in terminal ./ETQW-demo-client-1.1-full.r5.x86.run and installed it to /home/USERNAME/demo/
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

hcore wrote:ok i ran sudo chmod 555 ./quake.run in terminal, and it didnt say anything else, and now the file has a little lock on it =S

i tried sudo sh ./extension.run but it say it doesnt find the command =S
I just right click and use properties to make it executable.
It's under permissions and has a check box.
Roel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Roel »

The default installation directory is /usr/local/games/etqw.<releasetag>

But if it installed correctly all you have to do is type 'etqw' in a console and it should launch your game. (EDIT: no it doesn't you need to type the full path : /usr/local/games/etqw.demo/etqw , just make an alias or a launcher or something)

If you messed up, the installer should clean up after itself, if not, I'd try deleting the usr/local/games/etqw.<releasetag> folder and start the installer again (I don't know if that is the recommended way but that's what I do)

Note that the installer says you need a low latency kernel for optimal performance, I don't have one either but I'm in need of one (audio editing) and I'll try to compile me one as soon as I find out how to do it.

I normally install games in my user folder (easier to add mods and stuff) so if you've changed the install folder try running

sudo find / -name '*etqw*'

and it should point you in the right direction.

Return to “Beginner Questions”