New to LMDE

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
t2000kw

New to LMDE

Post by t2000kw »

I'm new to LMDE, being a former Ubuntu user. I switched horses when I saw Ubuntu going down a path I didn't like. It appears that they're ditching the Gnome desktop for another one. I like Gnome and prefer to stay with it. I like what I've seen so far, and I like the rolling distribution concept.

I'm learning about LMDE and look forward to becoming proficient at using it. I've heard that the forums are very friendly and helpful. I hope to contribute to them in some way or other over time.

I didn't consider myself beyond a beginner until recently, but one of the development testers assured me that I'm an advanced user. After hearing that, I would probably put myself in the intermediate category (I don't completely believe him, but he may be at least partly right). I'm not big on using the terminal and using commands to do things when a GUI exists, but I'm not afraid of using it when it's the easiest way to do something (or the only way).

I started playing with Linux back when Caldera Linux was available (1999 ?). I installed it on a Dell Inspiron laptop. Caldera didn't support the video on the laptop, but I found information in several places that I pieced together and got it working just fine at the native video resolution. I then put together a tutorial on how to do it step-by-step so other newbies could do it. (I didn't take credit for the ideas, just putting them together in a set of easy to follow directions.) I'm good at following directions (usually), if they're well-written, so I can often fix my own problems by following information in posts in Linux forums. But I certainly don't know even half of what I would like to know about Linux.

I left Linux alone for years, then tried SuSE, Red Hat, and maybe a few others, even trying a couple of flavors of BSD. (The BSD community is very unfriendly, by the way.) Then I tried Ubuntu and I felt I could use an OS like that.

I dual-boot Windows and Linux, using Easy BCD to make the changes to the Windows 7 boot manager so I can avoid using GRUB in the boot sector of my hard drive. I had a mishap several months ago due to GRUB when I made some partition changes from within Windows that GRUB (version 2) didn't like, and my laptop wouldn't boot. I got it fixed, but I lost some data between the date of my last backup and when that happened. (Nothing really serious, though.)

I hope to watch LMDE become more mainstream as I learn more about how it's interface is designed.

Donald
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: New to LMDE

Post by tdockery97 »

Welcome to the Mint Forums Donald. I think you'll find we're a friendly bunch here. I was a Gnome die-hard until I began to see the direction it is going. Now I'm KDE all the way. If you want to chat live with some of the Mint users, or have questions that you need answered quickly, try opening XChat and it will take you directly to the #linuxmint-chat and #linuxmint-help channels on IRC. Have fun with Mint.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Welcome Donald,

It sounds like you will be able to contribute much to the forums. Definitely sound more experienced in Linux than I am. I have only used Mint and that for just over 2 years. (5 years ago I installed VectorLinux on a 400mHz box, and Suse on a 4 y/o desktop but never used either enough to learn anything.)
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello Donald,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=38355
If you want an LMDE IRC channel open XChat and type /join #linuxmint-debian
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

Welcome to the forum and Linux Mint!
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

welcome to the world of Mint
grey1960envoy

Post by grey1960envoy »

Welcome to the world of LMDE I have only been using Linux for about a year now myself and am very comfortable with this distro. That being said I do realize I am just starting to learn about this OS and am nowhere near as proficient as you however if there is a problem you need help with THIS forum is the place to be :wink: chances are you will get questions answered promptly. :) Now that you took the minty green pill enjoy the ride :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”