enemy territory broken by debian testing old libs removed

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
zen

enemy territory broken by debian testing old libs removed

Post by zen »

Hi all,

I just installed linux mint debian on my laptop and then updated it only to find that I could no longer install enemy territory (it had worked before with helena) After much searching on the net I found that et (enemy territory) depends on an old library called libgtk1.2 which has been eliminated from debian testing and main as well. Ubuntu has apparently followed suit. It seems there are a LOT of other software that depends on this library not just enemy territory. Which just sucks hard (as the americans like to say). Gamely I have tried all day to find some other way of getting this lib back so i can install the game. Finally I figure out how to add the lib from lenny repository but for some reason it still doesn't work. I am about ready throw my laptop out the window, give up on technology and go and live the simple life of a buddhist monk high in the himalayas...

Why so much pain for so little gain?

Any clues how I can save the situation?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zen

Re: enemy territory broken by debian testing old libs remove

Post by zen »

Ha i've had a rather daft thought; enemy territory is a seriously fun game but well on the way to becoming obsolete for the reason i mentioned above and also because it wants the oss sound libraries instead of the newer alsa architecture. Maybe then I could fork it; update it to use alsa and libgtk2 and maybe add some more maps, missions and graphics just for nerdy fun of it. Trouble is I don't know very much about programming or very much about linux (yet). Well I could learn along the way..

It is my aspiration to learn programming and games design could be this is the project with which to make a start.

So what is this a daft idea or what?

I

Return to “LMDE Archive”