Nvidia drivers update issues

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
drewb0y

Nvidia drivers update issues

Post by drewb0y »

I decided to change from the standard debian drivers to the official Nvidia drivers a few weeks ago in order to resolve some lock up issues I was having.
Since the latest updates, when I run an apt upgrade, I get the following errors:

Code: Select all

Setting up libgl1-nvidia-alternatives (195.36.31-7) ...
Leaving 'diversion of /usr/lib/libGL.so to /usr/lib/nvidia/diversions/libGL.so by libgl1-nvidia-alternatives'
Leaving 'diversion of /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 to /usr/lib/nvidia/diversions/libGL.so.1 by libgl1-nvidia-alternatives'
Leaving 'diversion of /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2 to /usr/lib/nvidia/diversions/libGL.so.1.2 by libgl1-nvidia-alternatives'

Processing triggers for libgl1-nvidia-alternatives ...
update-alternatives: error: alternative path /usr/lib/nvidia/diversions/libGL.so.1 doesn't exist.
dpkg: error processing libgl1-nvidia-alternatives (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
configured to not write apport reports
                                      dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libgl1-nvidia-glx:
 libgl1-nvidia-glx depends on libgl1-nvidia-alternatives; however:
  Package libgl1-nvidia-alternatives is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing libgl1-nvidia-glx (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of nvidia-glx:
 nvidia-glx depends on libgl1-nvidia-glx (= 195.36.31-7); however:
  Package libgl1-nvidia-glx is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing nvidia-glx (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
                                                                            Processing triggers for menu ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 libgl1-nvidia-alternatives
 libgl1-nvidia-glx
 nvidia-glx
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Aren't these 3 packages from the debian Nvidia drivers? And should I just remove them? Or will that break the official driver I have installed?

libgl1-nvidia-alternatives
libgl1-nvidia-glx
nvidia-glx
Doesn't seem to be causing any issues at the moment, so the real question I guess is, should I do anything about this or leave it as is and wait for it to be magically resolved in some future update?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
twa

Re: Nvidia drivers update issues

Post by twa »

dreboy,
use smxi that will take care of everything.
read well the tutorials first , then follow the on-screen displays carefully.
http://smxi.org/
robert-e

Post by robert-e »

I followed (carefully) those smxi instructions...they did not work. I downloaded with wget, and chown the permissions. When I followed the instructions to kill gdm: no joy. I then killed gdm3, and that worked, but left me with a blank screen...real lack of joy there. So I rebooted, and tried running the script from a terminal under gnome, and it chastised me for not killing the desktop manager. So I booted to runlevel 1 and cd'd to /usr/local/bin and tried to run the script from there. It failed due to lack of a proper path.

I think smxi is not a real solution (anymore). I did try this a few months ago, with much the same lack of success. I await Ikeys solution.

Regards,
Bob
CiaW

Post by CiaW »

Nvidia-glx is one you want to have installed, and the other 2 files possibly come in as dependencies of that. Do you have nvidia kmods installed also (I forget the exact package name)? If not you should, it'll rebuild the modules for you when needed for kernel updates.
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gosa »

robert-e wrote:I followed (carefully) those smxi instructions...they did not work. I downloaded with wget, and chown the permissions. When I followed the instructions to kill gdm: no joy. I then killed gdm3, and that worked, but left me with a blank screen...real lack of joy there. So I rebooted, and tried running the script from a terminal under gnome, and it chastised me for not killing the desktop manager. So I booted to runlevel 1 and cd'd to /usr/local/bin and tried to run the script from there. It failed due to lack of a proper path.

I think smxi is not a real solution (anymore). I did try this a few months ago, with much the same lack of success. I await Ikeys solution.

Regards,
Bob
Didn't try smixi, but I did run sgfxi not long ago (a month maybe) and considering that I see myself as the dictionary example of a Linux Newbie I found it quite straightforward. Don't remember anything about chown-ing anything though...

I just downloaded sgfxi, hit ctrl-alt-F1 and followed the instructions on this page: http://techpatterns.com/forums/about933.html
robert-e

Post by robert-e »

Ciaw,
Thanks for the reply. I did do that, and it removed a couple of files related to the nvidia binary (173) install. Then the display was borked. So I edited xorg.conf to use vesa, and put things back. Actually, I don't think that the driver is not working, at least on the laptop screen, since I can change resolutions using Preferences-->Monitor. It is just that the nvidia-settings utility is not working. I have a strong suspicion that it needs the "udev" service to be turned on to autodetect the monitors; however, when udev is running, the keyboard and touchpat do not work, and the usb stuff is not detected on bootup. If I unplug the usb mouse, and replug it, it is then detected. I wonder if the new kernel that lmde is using has some sort of conflict with udev?

WRT smxi; I suspect that is it rather out of date (at least the instructions), as it refers to "killing gdm", and I think it is now called gdm3 in mint? I have been able to get it to run in the past, but when it was all said and done, the nvidia driver still was not installed correctly. I really urge OP to wait until Ikey gets his hardware install utility working. He writes reliable code.

Regards,
Bob
h2-1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by h2-1 »

The reference to gdm is just text, it says I think: kdm/gdm or something like that, the internals, the actual programming that is, seek out and kill whatever is running the desktop, including gmd3, gdm, slim, xdm, and a variety of others, easily updated when new stuff appears.

You're going to need to figure out how to use udev however, that's what does most hardware detection, though I don't follow the month to month changes.

Re smxi documentation, anytime anyone finds something out of date etc, feel free to post a fix/patch on techpatterns.com forums, otherwise it probably won't get fixed, I only update the documentation now and then, it's boring. Also of course keep in mind that it's assumed most readers will understand that when something says it will kill gdm that would also include gdm3, 4 5 6 and whatever gdm appears in the future. Different levels of debian have different stuff running them, so I avoid specifics as much as I can in the docs.
robert-e

Post by robert-e »

Yes, could be just text. OTOH, when I killed gdm3, the result was just a blank screen. Reboot did nothing for smxi. On the udev service issue...this was a fresh install and updated as of two nights ago, and just as in the 64 bit install, the udev service was not running. On both installs, when i started udev, the keyboard quit, and the usb...blah blah..(read above post). So I believe the problem is more deep-seated than that.

Regards,
Bob
drewb0y

Post by drewb0y »

I ended up removing libgl1-nvidia-alternatives, libgl1-nvidia-glx, nvidia-glx and just manually installing the Nvidia 270.26 beta drivers.
All is well now
drewb0y

Post by drewb0y »

Well that worked nicely, up until xserver-xorg-core wanted to be updated and of course errored out because alternatives was not installed.

Preparing to replace xserver-xorg-core 2:1.7.7-11 (using .../xserver-xorg-core_2%3a1.7.7-13_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement xserver-xorg-core ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/xserver-xorg-core_2%3a1.7.7-13_amd64.deb (--unpack):
 unable to create `/usr/lib/nvidia/diversions/libglx.so.dpkg-new' (while processing `./usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so'): No such file or directory
                                      dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Processing triggers for libglx-nvidia-alternatives ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/xserver-xorg-core_2%3a1.7.7-13_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
So maybe I can try reinstalling what i previously removed, upgrade and cross my fingers and hope it all works?

Return to “LMDE Archive”