A long way to go but the right direction

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bob »

I wish I could get Sabayon working. I've tried many boots with different configurations and consistently get a blank desktop with only a clock and three terminals open - one on the left and the right split with two. Only once, with Vesa drivers was I able to actually get into the normal desktop, but that failed on subsequent boots. Frankly, my questions on the Forum didn't get a solution and only minimal replies.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bob »

Won't hurt to try - looks like just DVD's right now, so I'll have to wait for the CD release tomorrow. Hope you're right - it really looked good the one time it did load.
bob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bob »

Well, I've got it installed and working, but it's not long for the hard drive. Despite the good looks, Emerge and Karoo are too much to deal with. 28 updates took 2 1/2 hours on a very fast cable connection and then installing Thunderbird took over 1 1/2 hours by itself. Initially I used the gui, Karoo, but thought it had stalled after 45 minutes and killed it. The next day, I used the CLI version and watched as it compiled for over 90 minutes. Also found out that the kill on Karoo borked the gui. Oh well.... still, it IS pretty.... :roll:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

bob wrote:Well, I've got it installed and working, but it's not long for the hard drive. Despite the good looks, Emerge and Karoo are too much to deal with. 28 updates took 2 1/2 hours on a very fast cable connection and then installing Thunderbird took over 1 1/2 hours by itself. Initially I used the gui, Karoo, but thought it had stalled after 45 minutes and killed it. The next day, I used the CLI version and watched as it compiled for over 90 minutes. Also found out that the kill on Karoo borked the gui. Oh well.... still, it IS pretty.... :roll:
Ahemmmm ... I thought it is now possible in Gentoo to get pre-compiled packages like in any other Linux distro too? But from your posting I guess it is still necessary to compile everything yourself?? :shock:
bob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bob »

I'd bet that the DVD version had such packages, but my 'minimal' install required me to go old-school. Ah well, it was pretty while it lasted.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Openxworld wrote: 'out of the box' ?
hors de l'embalage? Tu "unpack" qqch. et
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

"out of the box" --> "automatiquement". Un truc qui marche tout de suite des que tu l'as installe, tout seul, automatiquement... pas besoin de configurer quoi que ce soit.

Pour une distribution --> deja preconfigure, une fonctionalite qui marche directement sur le live CD ou apres installation, sans configuration necessaire.

Clem
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

clem wrote:"out of the box" --> "automatiquement".
Ou plut
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

:lol:

Return to “Non-technical Questions”