(see http://forum.xfce.org/index.php?topic=5 ... 1#msg19741)
I did a clean re-install.
Same problem. I can go thru every line in my xmodmap script and execute it by hand as in xmodmap -e 'command here'
and verify that there are no errors. I have tried using ~/.xmodmaprc, ~/.Xmodmap (as I do successfully in ubuntu). I have written
scripts that run at startup, run the scripts from the command line. Nothing works reliably. Reassignments are sometimes partial,
sometimes change from one window to another. I've been using linux for 10 years now and I make a living as programmer/consultant
in linux environments and I never seen key reassignments so screwed up as they are on mint Xfce. And I've used xkeycaps.
(Used it years ago too, didn't think it was still around and don't recommend it, pretty much sucks) with the same results or
My xmodmap script follows: And I repeat, this same script works flawlessly on ubuntu and slackware
- Code: Select all
!remove Lock = Caps_Lock
! Set the control key to left of pinkie (replacing caps lock)
keycode 66 = Control_L
add Control = Control_L
! Map the tilde/grave key to left of spacebar to left alt key
keycode 49 = Alt_L
add mod1 = Alt_L
add mod1 = Alt_R
! Alt_L becomes hyper/modifier
keycode 64 = Hyper_L
add mod2 = Hyper_L
! TAB key to Escape Key
keycode 23 = Escape
! super R becomes TAB
keycode 134 = Tab
! Break key becomes caps lock
keycode 127 = Caps_Lock
add Lock = Caps_Lock
! Control key becomes break key
keycode 37 = Break
! ESC key to ~`
keycode 9 = grave asciitilde
! Windoze key to super/modifier
keycode 133 = Super_L
add mod4 = Super_L
Here's the deal. I have a consultancy agreement with an organization to evaluate a linux distro as a candidate for
converting an office in this organization over to linux. I've got about 28 hours from the time of this posting before
linux mint Xfce 8 goes away and is scratched off of my list. I really like this distro and I really want to use it for
my own uses also, but these problems are a deal breaker. So if you can't help, but might think of another forum to post
this, let me know. Or if anyone one in the mint developer community wants to investigate this, I can work with
him/her passed the deadline above.
I'm theorizing that this is hardware-related. I.E. it is an X problem aggravated by the hardware unique to this
machine. It is a Gateway GT54422E about 3 years old with 3 Gigs of ram and nVidia chipset. I have found this machine
to be less stable with all versions of ubuntu and mint that I have tried on it, compared to slackware.
I hope someone has an answer or can point me in the right direction. This distro has much to recommend it.