LMDE Updates Message "Fix Broken Packages"

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
zc456

Re: LMDE Updates Message "Fix Broken Packages"

Post by zc456 »

Well, was about to report the problem too. Glad the issue is being discussed.
Paco wrote:running aptitude I see that

libva1 "break" vlc-nox

So this is the problem, not sure what to do...
Yup.Synapatic told the me the exact same package.
reference2myself

Post by reference2myself »

anyone wanting to update vlc i would suggest just changing your repo from testing to sid, install vlc, and then change it back
jwedekin

Post by jwedekin »

Thank you SOO MUCH!!!

I could NOT install VLC on LinuxMint Debian 64-bit. Nothing I tried would work.

For all the n00bs like me out there:

Go to terminal and type:

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
Then add the following line like kmb42vt suggested. Just copy and paste it below the last line in the file.

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main
Then save the file, and type the following in Terminal:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install vlc
After both of those commands do their thing (it will take a while for each), then go back and edit sources.list:

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
DELETE the Line you added (should say "deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main")
Finally, update the repository once more (now that you deleted debian unstable main from sources.list):

sudo apt-get update
Should have VLC and your system should be good to go.
Kupfer

Post by Kupfer »

I just installed the vlc from http://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main and I'm having problems with it. Once I start a file with it, I can't quit the application. Opening then closing it immediately works, but once I load a file, even if I click on the X to close it or on Quit from the menu, vlc wont close. I can close it only with force quit.

Anyone else experiencing the problem, or have an idea what might be wrong?

edit: Ok, problem solved. The old vlc wasn't removed properly so vlc-data was still the old version while the other files were the new ones. I removed everything vlc and reinstalled from the http://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main repo using jwedekind's instructions and everything is fine now! So thanks from me too for the solution!
Last edited by Kupfer on Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eleozz

Post by eleozz »

thx @ jwedekin && reference2myself :D
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

After you do updates today you will be able to reinstall VLC while running the most recent version of libva1.

The updates had several of the VLC support packages but not the VLC package itself.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

dawgdoc wrote:After you do updates today you will be able to reinstall VLC while running the most recent version of libva1.

The updates had several of the VLC support packages but not the VLC package itself.
Thanks for the update! By the way, this latest update also fixes the problem of not being able to close VLC while a video was playing or after it had finished (you had to "force quit" the application instead). This was mainly experienced by those (like myself) who added the "unstable" (sid) repo to our sources.list just long enough to install and try out the latest version of VLC. Good to see updates like this steadily moving from "unstable" down to "testing".
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

Return to “LMDE Archive”