Installing Linux Mint 10.10

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
timbra

Installing Linux Mint 10.10

Post by timbra »

I have a Dell XPS 730 and am attempting to install Linux Mint 10. I have installed it on about 12 systems so far and this is the only one I have had issues with.
I have downloaded the 64 bit version and have tried both DVD and USB install and it keeps stopping at the same point. just after the casper portion it says ready and then just hangs there. I have tried re downloading the ISO and have made 4 DVD's all hang at the same place, the USB stick I have prepaired has successfuly installed 4 systems with no issues.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lauren

Re: Installing Linux Mint 10.10

Post by lauren »

Hi timbra!
Sometimes a computer "refuses" a 64 bit installation - I had this problem some years ago with Ubuntu and Fedora, whereas a 32 bit installation was possible.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Can you give us some technical details about this computer? And, does 32-bit work OK?
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
timbra

Post by timbra »

I have not tried the 32 bit version I am downloading it now and will try it and let you know.
timbra

Post by timbra »

I just completed the install of the 32 Bit version and it installed fine. below are system stats, I am still interested in the 64 Bit Version for performance and reliability. most of my systems I use are x64.

Dell XPS/Dimension 630i (I thought it was the 730 I was mistaken)
Processor, Q9650, 3.0, 12MB Yorkfield, E0
Memory, 4GB, 4X1GB, 800, CL6
Hard Drive, 2X 500 GB, RAID 0 Nvidia On-board Raid
Video Card, ATI Radeon HD 4870 1024MB
lauren

Post by lauren »

Hi!
Glad for you.
Concerning 64 / 32 bit: a normal user will not realise a difference (although e.g. usable RAM on 32 bit systems could be 3 GB of installed 4 GB).
timbra

Post by timbra »

Yes, you are correct. some of the machines I have set-up use 32 bit as some of them just use the pc for email and document writing some have been 64 for the more power users. This machine will be getting an upgrade to 8 GB here within the next week and I was hoping to have the 64 bit version running. any thoughts?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Does running the 'compatibility mode' help?

By the way, if you install linux-pae from Software Manager on a 32-bit system, you are able to use all 8GB memory.
Does Windows 64-bit run? Probably there's something damaged in the 64-bit circuitry which has never been seen by Dell because the installed Windows is 32-bit.
If Windows is 64-bit, there is a folder named C:\Program Files (x86) and it's also listed in the system information.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

It may be the 2.6.38 kernel causing problems. Maybe you can boot a Mint 11 USB stick (with persistent storage enabled) on a computer that works, and then install the 2.6.37 kernel (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=40185&f=42), and then replace the /casper/vmlinuz and /casper/initrd.lz files on the USB stick with those of the newly installed kernel.
Don't know if this combination will work, but you could at least try it (on a bootable USB stick).
JohnML
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JohnML »

same problem here with a Dell XPS 630i!

I tried a lot of different linux distributions ( Debian alike ) with live CD, without success!

If i remember correct even a freeBSD system "pc-bsd" hangs!

I think there is no difference in performance for a normal user using a 32/64bit OS, but i'm really interested in the reason for that issue!

So, keep on googling :-))

EDIT:
found this advice at ubuntu bug report, i'll try that tonight
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/519123

Found a better work around which worked for me and other Dell owners.

Boot from CD or DVD
Highlight your preferred install option (I prefer compatibility mode)
Hit the tab key to add boot options
Add to end of existing string "mem=xxx" (without quotes and replace xxx with your memory
Hit return to start boot process

Formula to determine your memory is:
X*1024*1024*1024=mem
replace X with number of GB ram you have.
Example:
4GB Ram = 4*1024*1024*1024=4294967296

So for Dell 64 bit systems with 4GB ram, add "mem=4294967296" to the end of the boot options string.
For 6GB ram systems, add "mem=6442450944.

I've used for Ubuntu and Arch Linux and has worked both times, but without the string, my system appears to freeze but is actually performing a kernel panic.

P.S. Stumbled across this work around on the Fedora forums.
EDIT2:

that's the solution, happy again :-))

Return to “Installation & Boot”