You Tube Videos Crashing LMDE System

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
craig10x

You Tube Videos Crashing LMDE System

Post by craig10x »

I just re-installed LMDE yesterday, did all the updates...everything is fine except for one strange problem...
This only seems to be happening on the You Tube site, as flash videos play without incident on any other website i tried....
What happens is that as soon as the video starts to load in, my screen freezes, turns grey and crashes...

And the only way to get things working again is to hard boot the computer...I am using the latest stable Google Chrome web browser (from google's website)...
Is everyone else having this problem? I am running lMDE 64 bit edition...Is it a "bug" from a debian update or is the problem on the you tube site itself?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: You Tube Videos Crashing LMDE System

Post by viking777 »

They are fine for me (32bit). Vids won't play if you have an adblocker on you tube, could that be it? Try another browser?
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Quite a few posts about this problem with flash and youtube . . . this workaround by turning off flash hardware acceleration has worked for some : http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 47#p390827

and some have gone to Chromium for a fix, but some are even scared to try it? don't know why . . . http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 08#p391473
It's a temporary fix anyway . . at least until adobe and youtube get a fix or update in play . . your choice, it's easy to try, and easy to set it back.

regards,
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Thanks for the feedback guys...well, i am not using adblocker...but as suggested i tried a different browser (firefox) and the flash videos play fine...no crashes at all...so i imagine that means it is Google Chrome browser related...At least on the 64 bit version...

So then, is this not happening on the Chromium version? You still have the very old version of Chromium on debian testing right? They haven't sent down one of the 9 series ones yet have they?

Strange thing is i DID play one video on my LMDE 64 bit after i did all the updates...and it played fine..but when i tried to play one a few hours later (as well as this morning) the crashing began...

So, i wonder if this is related to a problem in the current Google Chrome stable....or a You Tube site related problem that is causing this...

edit" seems to have something to do with Google Chrome's built in flash player...others have reported having this kind of problem with you tube videos on Google Chrome (not chromium which doesn't have it's own flash player like chrome)...

I'd switch to Chromium, but debian seems so slow about sending new versions down to debian testing...They are still using a version that is over 6 months old...

Return to “LMDE Archive”