Worth downloading the current fluxbox ed?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
crumpets

Worth downloading the current fluxbox ed?

Post by crumpets »

Hi! Im new to this forum, and new/old to linux in general. I used to use linux as desktop back in 2003, first slackware followed by the first fedora core version.
I recently rediscovered it when using ubuntu on my old server, and looking around for linux for my laptop I kind of fell for the whole mint-thing. Now I am very nostalgic about discovering fluxbox/blackbox in 2003, and I always kind of wanted to go back to that perfectly minimalistic experience even though my computer isnt low-end.

But it seems mint fluxbox is going through some major changes for version 10 and that it might take a while, so Im simply wondering: is it worth it to download and install mint fluxbox 9, or would it be better to go with another right now?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Worth downloading the current fluxbox ed?

Post by richyrich »

Mint 9 Fluxbox is a Long Term Support release (LTS) . . which means it will be actively supported for 3 years !

I love it !

Release info and links here : http://linuxmint.com/rel_isadora_fluxbox.php

Welcome, and enjoy !
crumpets

Post by crumpets »

Oh! Sometimes I just suck. I had completely missed that it was based on ubuntu 10.04... I thought it was a much older version. Well, that's it. I'll try it :)
crumpets

Post by crumpets »

Just stopping by to tell you the installation went smoothly! Everything including my ancient bluetooth chip worked like a charm 8) Only needed some configuring of wvdial to get my 3g-modem up and running too, which wasnt to much of a hassle.

Im once again deeply in love with fluxbox :D It's all I could ever want from a desktop gui.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Glad you're enjoying it. I too remain quite a Fluxbox junkie regardless of whatever else comes floating along.
Imhoteps

Post by Imhoteps »

crumpets wrote:..is it worth it to download and install mint fluxbox 9, or would it be better to go with another right now?
You won`t regret it, dude! It`s.. just.. brilliant! (@ least in my humble opinion).

Return to “Software & Applications”