The right way to upgrade?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
marlar
Level 2
Level 2

The right way to upgrade?

Post by marlar »

I have learned from reading this forum that MintUpdate is not suited for LMDE. Ok, then what is the correct/recommended way of upgrading?

Is it these commands?

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
I usually install programs via aptitude because I like they way it let me inspect conflicts. Is it possible to do a system upgrade with aptitude?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: The right way to upgrade?

Post by tdockery97 »

Yes. You can do:

sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude dist-upgrade
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

isn't that called full-upgrade in aptitude?
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

I use LMDE and I have done this ... necessary?

While I don't use MintUpdate to do my updates in Debian 6 'testing' (LMDE) ... I always accept ALL updates.

I believe it is necessary to change the MintUpdate settings to include Levels 4 and 5 . . . to make apt and aptitude install updates correctly. If the terminal or Synaptic are to install all updates it must be able to install everything.

So changing MintUpdate to include all Levels is a necessity?

Unless it would be possible to 'disable' MintUpdate?
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

There is a good thread on updating LMDE found here:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=67561
kwevej

Post by kwevej »

just put this into your ~/.bashrc

alias mupdate='apt update && apt dist-upgrade'
log out/log in (or re-run bash)

then call mupdate from the terminal
TheGreatSudoku

Post by TheGreatSudoku »

Synaptic also handles upgrades well. It tells you what additional packages will be installed when upgrading, as well if there are conflicts it tells you what packages will be removed, and gives you the option to not upgrade, keeping those packages safe.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I've used the Update Manager and also occasionally the terminal command to do the updates....how do you do that with the Package Manager? (never tried it that way).
TheGreatSudoku

upgrading in Synaptic

Post by TheGreatSudoku »

Upgrading in Synaptic is simple.

Step 1. Hit the "reload" button on the top left (this apt-get updates, reloads repository's listings of packagesClick ")
Step 2. Click the "status" bar in the lower left-hand corner
Step 3. Selected "Installed (upgradable)" from the left hand menu (note: if no packages are available for upgrade you won't see "Installed (upgradable)" in the list)
Step 4. You can highlight all the packages that need to be upgraded and mark them for upgrade. Any conflicts and/or additional packages needing to be installed as a result will pop up a warning dialog box and give you the option to either install or not install the updates.
amina

Post by amina »

Hi,

this is the second time I get the broken packages error in MintUpdate so I did the updates from terminal as suggested many times.
But I have one problem with doing so and I'm curious if you know a solution for this: there is one specific package I do not want to upgrade.
I tried to lock/force the version in synaptic, and still, when I update using the terminal, it installs that update as well.
As I can say Y/n only once to all the changes, I do not really know how I could update everything else from there, without updating also that specific package.

Anybody has an idea?
(I know I could do the whole thing from synaptic, I am just wondering if there is a cli solution.)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

amina,
check this post where vincent explains how to do that:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p391573
Koninator

Post by Koninator »

man apt-get
maybe you can hold the package.

--ignore-hold
Ignore package Holds; This causes apt-get to ignore a hold placed on a package. This may be useful in conjunction with dist-upgrade to
override a large number of undesired holds. Configuration Item: APT::Ignore-Hold.

but i don't know how to hold the package, and also if this is what you are asking for.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=539305
amina

Post by amina »

zerozero,
thanks, editing /etc/apt/preferences worked perfectly :)

Koninator,
I just did not know how to hold and then permanentrly unhold packages. I'm still not sure about the unhold part but I think apt-pinning is OK for now.

And thank you both for your quick response and help :)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

glad i could help amina but you should thank vincent 8)

Return to “LMDE Archive”