Hey

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nim

Hey

Post by Nim »

I figured I'd say "Hi" while I was here, so...Hi.

I'm Nim (As you may have guessed), and I have a confession to make; I'm a bit of a Linux newb... Well, not totally a newb. I've played with it a few times (Personally used three versions of Ubuntu, and I once saw a laptop with RedHat on it), but nothing overly extensive due to lack of time to really delve into something so different from the mainstream. So... I guess I'm a newb++.

I actually came across Mint by accident because I'm looking for a low-impact version to use on a dirt-old Compaq Armada 7800, and I was told on good faith that Mint might be the direction I want to go. Specifically, Isadora. I read here that it worked pretty well on an Armada 7770, so I'm hoping it'll go smoothly. The computer itself, despite some cosmetic damage from it's previous owner (I got it at a yard sale for $12. Included in that price was three PS/2 ball mice, a phone cord, carrying case, and a Neo-like black trench coat) works perfectly, considering it's age. Once I hacked the password (It was running Win98...That made password hacking super easy), and forcibly reset everything on it, I figured it was time to make a stand-alone Linux machine.

It's got a P2, 64 megs of RAM and a HDD that has 2 gigs of free space (With nothing on it but a clean install of Win98SE), so it's a real number cruncher that will put most super computers to shame (Being sarcastic). I'm a bit nervous to start, so any words of wisdom that could make this easier would be more than welcome.

Also, any idea where I can find and download that specific version of Mint (Mentioned in the link above)? A quick search turned up nothing, but I could have easily passed right over it. I'll need it in torrent form, because I'm on limited bandwidth until 3AM when it's unlocked til 6AM. Precious few hours to download anything I want or need, regardless of size.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vincent

Re: Hey

Post by vincent »

http://www.linuxmint.com/release.php?id=13

To be honest, a laptop that's as old as the one you have is unlikely to run Mint smoothly...even the LXDE and Fluxbox versions would be pushing it a bit. My recommendation is to go with an even more lightweight but functional distro, i.e. Puppy Linux.
Nim

Post by Nim »

Puppy Linux? Never even heard of that... (No shock there, to be honest)

I'll certainly look it up, thanks.

What minimum stats do you suggest I put Mint on? I've got working old computers all over the place (I actually have two Armada laptops. It's a collection of old tech, I suppose you could say.). Mostly running XP Pro SP1/2 right now, and typically have at least 128 megs of RAM.
vincent

Post by vincent »

Gnome and KDE typically require 512 MB of RAM to function smoothly (anything less will work, but it's not going to be a comfortable experience). As for something like LXDE, I'd recommend >= 128 MB of RAM (see http://lxde.sourceforge.net/about.html).

Of course, we're talking about the desktop environment itself. Applications like OpenOffice.org/LibreOffice, or even Firefox, can take up 200+ MB of RAM. Unfortunately, you can't really expect to use modern applications with laptops that old...luckily, there are plenty of lightweight browsers (Midori), office suites (Gnome Office, i.e. Abiword & Gnumeric), and other applications.
Nim

Post by Nim »

Well, I'm only really online with my gaming rig (4 gigs of ram, 3.0 GHz quad core, dual video cards, etc), so browsers aren't a huge issue. I usually use my older rigs for writing. Low impact things, but I try to use them. It's only fair, seeing as without these machines, modern computing wouldn't exist. Besides, most of these things only have a dial-up modem, and I've no real way to get online with them anyway.

Puppy seems to be loading well. And fast, considering. Linux impresses me once again.
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

Nim wrote:Well, I'm only really online with my gaming rig (4 gigs of ram, 3.0 GHz quad core, dual video cards, etc), so browsers aren't a huge issue. I usually use my older rigs for writing. Low impact things, but I try to use them. It's only fair, seeing as without these machines, modern computing wouldn't exist. Besides, most of these things only have a dial-up modem, and I've no real way to get online with them anyway.

Puppy seems to be loading well. And fast, considering. Linux impresses me once again.
Is your name a reference to Nyhm from youtube?
Nim

Post by Nim »

dante19992 wrote:
Nim wrote:Well, I'm only really online with my gaming rig (4 gigs of ram, 3.0 GHz quad core, dual video cards, etc), so browsers aren't a huge issue. I usually use my older rigs for writing. Low impact things, but I try to use them. It's only fair, seeing as without these machines, modern computing wouldn't exist. Besides, most of these things only have a dial-up modem, and I've no real way to get online with them anyway.

Negative. Nim is the shortened version of my nickname; Nimron. Everybody calls me Nim. Even my real-life friends.
dante19992

Post by dante19992 »

Nim wrote:
dante19992 wrote:

Negative. Nim is the shortened version of my nickname; Nimron. Everybody calls me Nim. Even my real-life friends.
Ah my bad
Nim

Post by Nim »

dante19992 wrote:Ah my bad
No problem, of course. :D

Return to “Introduce Yourself”