lmde wireless

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
beew

lmde wireless

Post by beew »

Hi,

I just downloaded the LMDE image and made a live usb. The wireless however would not connect. On the same machine with the same wireless card Ubuntu (10.04, 10.10, 11.04 alpha) and Fedora (13-gnome and 14 -KDE) both connect out of the box, only LMDE fails. The driver for the card (a usb wireless card) is rtl8187 (Both Fedora and Ubuntu confirm this)

Actually I have tried LMDE a few months ago and wireless did work, but the installation hanged at "checking index" or something like that (tried different machines too) so I downloaded a different image a few months later hoping that it would work this time but there seems to be a new bug, haven't tried install it yet so don't know whether it still hangs.

Any suggestion or idea?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
fritzk3

Re: lmde wireless

Post by fritzk3 »

Hi,

I don't have an answer - just wanted to chime in that I am experiencing the exact same issue as you - and made a separate post about it, where yet another user mentioned the same thing. I cannot get LMDE to connect via wireless, but LInux Mint 10 (Gnome), Ubuntu 10.10, and Win7 all connect without a problem - which makes me think that the problem is somehow local to LMDE.

I hope we hear something soon... my solution in the meanwhile would be to install Mint 10, with a separate /home partition, and then perhaps switch over at a later date.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

Since this is common to more than one user the problem is probably more a conflict of drivers or something similar that other distros have corrected and Debian may not have, or something that is possibly missing. Can you provide the output of

Code: Select all

lsusb
since these are USB devices as mentioned above? And can you open the file /etc/modules and paste the contents here?
phubai
Level 1
Level 1

Post by phubai »

There is some very useful information that can be found here:

http://wiki.debian.org/rtl818x

Hopefully that will at least help a little, and the results of lsusb as well as lsmod would be helpful as well.

Good-luck!

--phubai
ThinkPad X61 - MacBook Pro - HPmini 311 - Dell D60
~/phubai - Fleming Island, FL
fritzk3

Post by fritzk3 »

Just for the record - the wireless device that I am having trouble with is a PCI-based card (not USB). So in this case... 'lspci' instead of 'lsusb'?
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

fritzk3, probably best to post your own thread so you can respond to requests for information about your card or system as necessary. And since you already know the command to get your system info, including that with a description of what problem you are having and what you have done so far may help get you quicker assistance. The OP never responded so it may take some time for them to get a solution and no sense waiting to see :)
beew

Post by beew »

Hi,

I have downloaded the image for the respin from here http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1614 and wireless now works.

Thanks for all the reply. :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”