wrong screen resolution, fluxbox

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lmo

wrong screen resolution, fluxbox

Post by lmo »

I tried to run the latest (9) Mint Fluxbox in a VMWare virtual machine, and encountered the same problem I had encountered with other fluxbox distributions: the that apparently, the detected screen resolution is wrong, and I don't know what to do about this. Here is what happens:

When the OS starts, it starts in 800x600 mode, and when I change it to the higher resolution of my screen, 1280x1024, the result is that fonts in applications are HUGE, way beyond being usable, although the font sizes set in the 'appearance' utility seem correct.

Again, I saw this with other fluxbox distributions I had tried long ago, so I am surprised both that this problem still exists, and that I wasn't able to find solutions for it on the web. The only way I know of to manually change display settings is by editing xorg.conf, but in this distribution there is no such file, and I have no idea what to to.

Any idea why this happens in VMWare virtual machines, and how I can solve it? Please note that my technical skills in linux are rather basic.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: wrong screen resolution, fluxbox

Post by viking777 »

Well, if you know that editing xorg.conf fixes the problem there are two things you can do. Either copy xorg.conf from a working distro (if you have one this is the best option) or else create your own xorg.conf and edit it yourself.

Instructions here:

http://www.osguides.net/operation-syste ... u-910.html

I would suggest that the reason you can't find a solution to this online is perhaps because it is a very uncommon problem.
lmo

Post by lmo »

Thanks for your answer. The problem was solved by installing the VMWare Tools and restarting the virtual machine.
Oldredbeard

Post by Oldredbeard »

Thank you viling777, I was having this problem, because I am running through an old 8 port kvm switch. I copied the xorg.conf from a working version, and pasted it in /ect/X11, as root, rebooted and set the resolution to what I wanted. Worked great, many thanks.

Return to “Software & Applications”