Lost Monitor Resolution

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
wwoof

Lost Monitor Resolution

Post by wwoof »

I've been using this version since the beginning and not had any problems until just recently. One day I powered up and suddenly the resolution for my monitor was set at 1024X768 which is a much lower resolution than I was using. The 'monitor detect' button does nothing. I dual boot with XP on the other side and the resolution is just fine when using it.

Has there been any glitches in recent downloads? I have scoured the net for Linux drivers for my Westinghouse monitor and nothing has come up. My small box uses an Atom chip with Intel graphics.

Please help me get this video back to 'normal'.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Lost Monitor Resolution

Post by viking777 »

One day I powered up and suddenly the resolution for my monitor was set at 1024X768 which is a much lower resolution than I was using......
Can you pin it down a little more accurately than 'one day'?
Has there been any glitches in recent downloads?
None that I have read about that cause this sort of problem, but maybe you are the first to report them?

If it is an update that caused this then you need to be a bit more precise. Both the package manager and the update manager have a 'history' section. In the 'view' menu in update manager and in the 'file' menu in package manager.

Have a look through those and see if any graphic related program was updated just before 'one day'. That might give you, or the forum members a better clue as to what has caused this problem.
wwoof

Post by wwoof »

Checked history and I deleted VLC on 2/28 as it seemed to be acting up when I tried to use it. I also noticed that whenever I tried to view youtubes that the first video was fine and the rest were red tinted. This continued after I removed VLC. I reinstalled VLC on 3/8 and the red tint on youtube continues. So, this red tint thing started before I lost the resolution settings I was using. The red tint thing is only on youtube which is kind of mystifying.

Before I reinstalled VLC I had a problem with my USB ports. When I removed my cell phone USB plug I started getting a device error message in both XP and Debe. It finally cleared up when I plugged a flash drive into a rear port. The resolution problem occurred as this situation was going on. Sounds crazy, I know.

Since things seem to be fine on the XP side I can't help but think I have a driver problem.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Very strange behaviour.

Let's make sure you have all available updates installed and see if that makes a difference.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
wwoof

Post by wwoof »

Wow, that some line of code. Even though I update daily it downloaded 40MB of files. But still no change to the 'unknown monitor' situation. Detect button depresses for a moment and no changes occur.

Is it possible that a newer driver went in that no longer recognizes my monitor? Since Westinghouse doesn't even have a linux driver their must have been a generic in Debian that is some how gone, now?
viking777

Post by viking777 »

To give me some more information could you try these two terminal commands. First:

lspci | grep -i vga
(Which you can copy and paste if you wish)

My system returns this:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G86 [GeForce 8600M GS] (rev a1)
Then using the numbers at the beginning of the output from command #1 you construct command #2. In my case it would be this:

lspci -s 01:00.0 -v
(which you can't copy and paste - unless the numbers are the same?)

All you need to do is to substitute the numbers I have put in for the numbers that you get from the first command.

Then post the output of the second command here.

Thanks.

Return to “LMDE Archive”