Officialy Gutsified!

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
psycosmyth
Level 2
Level 2

Officialy Gutsified!

Post by psycosmyth »

Well, I did the long approach to Gutsy, I started with Edgy and upgraded twice.
So far Gutsy is really nice. I seem to lack Xgl support but no worries.
Daryna, where are you dear?
:D :D :D :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Daryna, where are you dear?
Just around the corner :lol:
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

she's booting but not stable yet :)
AlsaPhil

Post by AlsaPhil »

does it mean that you only have the choice between a stable monkey and an unstable woman... hmmmm...
@ Clem >> "gare au goriiiiiiiiiiiille" :D
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

im kindof dissapointed that the bugs werent sorted for gutsy, most specificaly, the fact that openoffice crashes if your using a theme that uses the pixbuf engine
couple of other minor ones, but thats the only showstopper for me, its been there for months so i was expecting it to get sorted before release.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

hairy_Palms wrote:im kindof dissapointed that the bugs werent sorted for gutsy
Welcome to the club :? ... I find those bugs extremely annoying. Especially this one: They disabled the framebuffers! So if you're like me and love to work in high-res text modes from time to time (also a very good fallback option if something in the GUI goes wrong ...) and have a parameter such as vga=791 in your menu.lst file .... It's not working here anymore!! All your tty's remain black! (CTRL+ALT+F1 ... F6) ... That sucks big time :evil:

So for now I am back to 7.04 "Feisty".
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

yah i know what you mean, luckily for me i rarely have to go into ttys anymore, the only exception is nvidia drivers. so i dont bother to set large res terminals.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

hairy_Palms wrote: so i dont bother to set large res terminals.
Well ... a 80 x 25 text terminal just plain stinks and I think they're idiots that they even messed with this setting. :evil: ... I mean: Was it broken? Hell, NO! So why in the world did they have to mess with it?? :roll:

There are other quite annoying things too. Desktop effects for example. They're hyping those everywhere. Great. But what they don't tell you is that you won't get to enjoy the really really cool ones unless you install a few extra packages. Too bad they're not telling you which ones (I had to Google this ...), and to really configure things the way you like you'd need to install another extra package. confused? After all the hype I assumed all this stuff would be there per default + "out of the box". Nope, it isn't. :?

Right now I see hardly any reason why one would want to upgrade to 7.10 if you have a perfectly running 7.04 system .... 7.10 just breaks too many things at the moment. Better wait a few weeks until the first patches + bugfixes are out .... :roll:
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I have Gutsy running alright but had to upgrade from Tribe 4 to get anything but a black screen on boot! If you look on the Ubuntu forums you will see that many have this problem.

Gutsy works fine on some hardware but there sure seems to be a lot of people having problems! The Gutsy release should have been delayed until more of the hardware issues were resolved.

Many are disappointed in Gutsy...
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

calumc wrote: I dont think I'll bother with Daryna, I've only just got Celena the way i like it!
Hellooo? We were talking about Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy" *NOT* Linux Mint "Daryna" <== isn't even out yet. :lol:
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbaerbock »

I tried Ubuntu 7.10 and it had so many bugs I almost went back to Windows, ok maybe not that bad lol. Anyway so I tried Kubuntu 7.10 and it is a little better with a few less bugs but still. One major bug that seems common is that you have to manualy fix your load bar splash otherwise while 7.10 loads it shows nothing but black. I mean for saying Gutsy would be a great Vista rival and then even the load bar dosn't work is kinda sad.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

jbaerbock wrote: I mean for saying Gutsy would be a great Vista rival and then even the load bar dosn't work is kinda sad.
Exactly :? ... And as for being a "Vista rival": It isn't that hard to get compiz-fusion working on Ubuntu 7.04 (and probably the current Mint release too? ... haven't tried yet). It looks awesome. So for getting a "Vista rival" I'd right now rather stay with 7.04 and then install compiz-fusion on top of it instead of upgrading 7.10 ...
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbaerbock »

Yeah im going to re-install Celena. Using a crappy release of Ubuntu that should still be in Beta makes me want Celena again lol. I really hope Clem gets all those Gutsy kinks worked out before he released Daryana. Clem man take your time. I rather it be a month late and actually work lol.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I enabled the "Gutsy Proposed" repo today and installed the updates. I figured why not, the system runs like crap anyways! Firefox now works like it should! Before installing the updates Firefox was sluggish, now it is working like it did in Celena. Some of the updates are for Gnome 2.20.1.

Just thought I would mention this to try and help anyone that is testing Gutsy while they are waiting for the next release of Mint.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I just had a look in "About GNOME", I now have Gnome 2.30.1! Things seem more stable now.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

jbaerbock wrote: Clem man take your time. I rather it be a month late and actually work lol.
I absolutely second that. Rather "late + working OK" than "on time + crap".
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

other thing that I did no like about Gutsy is that it feels SLOW, kinda heavy.
and the tool for setting the screen resolution is useless once you install the proprietary drivers in my case Nvidia
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

When I use the tool for screen resolution my mouse will quit working! My Dad told me yesterday that the tool worked fine for him. Gutsy does feel a little slow but the updates are improving things.
akshunj

Post by akshunj »

scorp123 wrote:Well ... a 80 x 25 text terminal just plain stinks and I think they're idiots that they even messed with this setting. :evil: ... I mean: Was it broken? Hell, NO! So why in the world did they have to mess with it?? :roll:

There are other quite annoying things too. Desktop effects for example. They're hyping those everywhere. Great. But what they don't tell you is that you won't get to enjoy the really really cool ones unless you install a few extra packages. Too bad they're not telling you which ones (I had to Google this ...), and to really configure things the way you like you'd need to install another extra package. confused? After all the hype I assumed all this stuff would be there per default + "out of the box". Nope, it isn't. :?

Right now I see hardly any reason why one would want to upgrade to 7.10 if you have a perfectly running 7.04 system .... 7.10 just breaks too many things at the moment. Better wait a few weeks until the first patches + bugfixes are out .... :roll:
DUDE! THIS is what I've been saying about Ubuntu! Sooo buggy, and yet's it's been released! Boggles the mind...

--Akshun J
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

akshunj wrote: DUDE! THIS is what I've been saying about Ubuntu! Sooo buggy, and yet's it's been released! Boggles the mind...
I still disagree as far as "Feisty" (7.04) is concerned .. that was and still is a fine release. But 7.10 "Gutsy" ... oh man. Yeah. As far as "Gutsy" is concerned your comments turn out to be sad truth. :(

Return to “Chat about Linux”