Missed this thread...

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
evilestmark
Level 1
Level 1

Missed this thread...

Post by evilestmark »

I skipped this whole introduce thyself business by accident.

I've been bored at work lately with tons of extra time so I've been going through the community site and reading the forums more lately.

I started Linux at an internship where I assume I was using Red Hat, but didn't know enough at the time to realize there was more than one distribution. From there I set up a computer to run CentOS as a MUD server. Then I set up a dual-booting Ubuntu machine in college for a while until finally getting completely fed up with Window's updates and crap in general, at which point I deleted Windows with a massive catharsis-induced grin that didn't leave my face for several days.

Since then I've gone back and forth between Ubuntu (since 8.04), Linux Mint (since Gloria), Fedora (Since 13), and briefly tested a few other things like Crunchbang. I'm currently running LMDE and loving it. Assuming it doesn't break I really love having the rolling updates.

In preparation for the movement away from developing traditional Gnome desktop I've switched to running Openbox, configured to work a bit like Crunchbang. Though after testing the liveCD of Crunchbang I realize they do a much better job of configuration than me. I went ahead and wrote a tutorial for installing and configuring it anyway on the community site.

I speak/read/write a little bit of Japanese and signed up for the translation team... though doesn't seam like there's a whole lot going on there.

I'm a huge Inkscape/Gimp fan and have lately begun learning to use Scribus fairly well. I hope one day to have the patience to learn and master Blender. Anyone managed that feat yet?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
a.k.a. orionthehunter at the community site.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Missed this thread...

Post by willie42 »

Welcome to the Forums Evilestmark glad to see you using the forums :D
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

Welcome to the forum!
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello evilestmark,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=38355
We have a Community site http://community.linuxmint.com/
For real-time help and discussion there are IRC channels,open MintMenu>Internet>XChat and you will be automatically connected to #linuxmint-help and #linuxmint-chat
Have fun with Mint

Return to “Introduce Yourself”