Few Issues on New LMDE install

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
DreamKing

Few Issues on New LMDE install

Post by DreamKing »

Mint installed fairly well, but I am having a few issues.

First, my sound is spotty. I have a custom computer with no sound card. Instead I use USB headphones for the sound. On Ubuntu, this causes a lot of issues (namely the sound will crash completely and freeze my mouse until I restart), but on LMDE it just causes on major issue: it doesn't hold my defaults. I set the headset to be the default instead of the on-board sound, but every so often this will revert to the on-board, and I have no speakers hooked up. How can I make USB the default? Ubuntu Help while at it: On my desktop version of Ubuntu, I can run audio without static for a while, then it gets severely distorted. The sound will usually go mute. Sometime after (though not completely dependent on the sound issue) my USB mouse will freeze up while my keyboard (USB) will work. Restarting fixes it, but obviously this is not a great way to operate. On my laptop of Ubuntu, sound has a smaller level of distortion, usually on Pidgin. Any troubleshooting suggestions?

My other issue is I have two nVidia cards in SLi mode. I am not sure how to activate them on Mint. On Ubuntu, I did it with the nVidia X Server settings, I believe, but in Mint, it doesn't have that option. Also, on a similar note, Compiz isn't working like it should. As a test, I added on "wobbly windows," but when I exit and restart, there are no wobbly effects despite still being checked off. Obviously none of the other settings works in compiz as well.

Thanks for any help, and I am looking forward to contributing to LMDE in the future.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lauren

Re: Few Issues on New LMDE install

Post by lauren »

Hi DreamKing!
Please read through Seeley's "Quickly get help":
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 366328/url
and post the output of "findGrub" and as root

Code: Select all

parted -l print
lowercase "L".
DreamKing

Post by DreamKing »

Gonna update the OP, but I fixed it a different way. I still had access to my Ubuntu partition, so I found the Grub.cfg in the /boot/grub/ folder. From there, I just copied the last two kernel entries, pasted those in Linux Mint's Grub.cfg and it worked!

Apologies for missing that thread! I'll read through that and amend my post as necessary. Thanks for the help!
lauren

Post by lauren »

Hi DreamKing!
Normally the OP marks his thread as solved by editing his first post and adding [solved] to the subject line, if there are no more unanswered questions.

Return to “LMDE Archive”