YouTube in Iceweasel

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
sgosnell

YouTube in Iceweasel

Post by sgosnell »

I have my LMDE pointed to Sid, and I'm running Iceweasel. A couple of days ago, after an update, YouTube quit working. Other flash sites played, but not YouTube. It just showed basic HTML, no flash at all. I googled repeatedly, without success, until I wandered over to the Debian forums, where there is a thread on Iceweasel not working correctly. Various fixes were proposed for various problems and configurations, some worked for some, not for others. What worked for me was disabling AdBlockPlus on YouTube. That fixed the problem for me immediately. FWIW.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: YouTube in Iceweasel

Post by wayne128 »

I checked my Aptosid with default pointing to Sid, full update without issue on Iceweasel running youtube.
Perhaps due to no installation of ABP.
Shadoglare

Post by Shadoglare »

I'm having a similar issue under FireFox - embedded YouTube videos on other pages work just fine, but whenever I try to play a video on the YouTube site itself it horks and I get a "Flash plugin has crashed" error.
Unfortunately in my case turning AdBlock off didn't help, though I haven't tried to remove it all together.

YouTube works fine under Chrome, which doesn't have the AdBlock installed yet as I recall so that may still be having something to do with it though.
Shadoglare

Post by Shadoglare »

Well, I just tried completely removing AdBlock from FireFox and it made no difference... videos still won't play directly from the YouTube site :?
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

I've never had a problem with Firefox. Iceweasel worked until an update, then it wouldn't work on YouTube until I disabled Adblockplus for the site. It still worked on other flash sites, and I haven't needed to disable Adblock anywhere else. It does give the "Flash plugin has crashed" error when switching to a new video on Youtube, but a simple page reload fixes that. It's a pain doing it every time, but at least it works.
telenux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telenux »

sgosnell wrote:I have my LMDE pointed to Sid, and I'm running Iceweasel. A couple of days ago, after an update, YouTube quit working. Other flash sites played, but not YouTube. It just showed basic HTML, no flash at all. I googled repeatedly, without success, until I wandered over to the Debian forums, where there is a thread on Iceweasel not working correctly. Various fixes were proposed for various problems and configurations, some worked for some, not for others. What worked for me was disabling AdBlockPlus on YouTube. That fixed the problem for me immediately. FWIW.
I have this infamous 'flash plugin crash' problem as well.

I tried disabling AdBlock and it didn't work. So, yours is a solution for you only.

Anyone else have any idea?

I find that I have to re-load the (Youtube) page in order to get the video to play but it has to be done on every video. This gets really annoying. I suspect this problem has been going on a while.

How come no one on here is talking about this (i.e. a solution)? :(

P.S. This is with Firefox but it sounds like it is the same with Iceweasel. I think that's because it's more a Flash problem. Probably the version and maybe it only happens with certain versions of Flash combined with certain versions of Firefox/Iceweasel? Don't know yet...
Shadoglare

Post by Shadoglare »

So I was able to get YouTube to work by completely wiping out the entire FF install and starting new.
Until I tried re-installing AdBlock.

Side note - YouTube works just fine under Chrome. Including with AdBlock activated.

I may be switching browsers.
Shadoglare

Post by Shadoglare »

Well, I somehow got it working in FF again, though I'm not entirely sure how.

I tried just downloading FF4 and running it from a different folder but got the same errors - but after doing a "complete remove" of the original install of FF and then trying FF4 I appear to be OK again, including using ABP on Youtube.

As far as I know they use the same plugin, so I have no idea why it's suddenly working.

Return to “LMDE Archive”