[Solved] Configure DVD behavior

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
feffer
Level 4
Level 4

[Solved] Configure DVD behavior

Post by feffer »

Two minor questions:
1. I can't seem to find the way to control what happens when I insert a DVD in LMDE. I don't want it to automatically do anything. The default is that a movie player opens and starts playing the DVD. Actually, I have virtualbox with windows xp running and want to access the DVD there. However, the DVD gets grabbed by Mint's movie player and I can't access it in the virtual machine. I know there should be a simple preference to control the behavior when a DVD is inserted, but I just can't find it.

2. I want to change the shortcut to open the Mint Menu from Control Super_L to "Alt-Shift" However when I right click the Menu and set these keys nothing happens even tho I log out and back in. I should be able to do this. How?

thx,
feffer
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: Configure DVD behavior

Post by vrkalak »

Mint doesn't have a Movie player parse. That would be either VLC media player or Gnomes MPlayer. (I think those are the default media players)

Either way open the movie player application > from the Tab-bar select Tools scroll down to Preferences.
You can change how and where the application opens a DVD, from there. But, that has to changed from within the player application and not in Mint.
feffer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feffer »

hmm, that surprises me. In Ubuntu, when you drop in a cd/dvd a dialog opens that asks, "what do you want to do with this?" and offers choices including open in file manager and "do nothing." I thought it was part of gnome. Is there really nothing like this in Mint?

Also, what about issue #2?

thx,
feffer
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

The basic LinuxMint OS is exactly the same as Ubuntu. What works for one works for the other.

But, this is LMDE which is based on Debian. Debian is not the same as Ubuntu.

While Ubuntu is loosely based on Debian ... they are neither compatible nor interchangeable.

Depending on which version of an Application is installed as default, the App should act the same no matter which OS it is released in? I guess.
I know the 'pop=up' screen that you are referring to, but I don't use Gnome, as I don't know where it might be?
I suppose you could find it the Nautilus File Manager > Preferences > Behavior or Advanced

There's a place to do that . . . ?? My memory is a blank right now. Sorry.

As for the 2nd part of your question: I don't use any Short-cuts ever. So I am of no help, there either
I use an Apple/Mac keyboard with my PC ... I don't even have an Alt key.
feffer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feffer »

I did find it. Not so intuitively, it is a Nautilus preference. Sorry for being pushy. Probably had set it the way I wanted in Ubuntu and then forgot about it.

Maybe someone else could help with question #2. I run Mac and Windows as well, but I do use shortcuts -- long habit from the days when I ran Mac only. Now that I run multiple OSes, I try to use uniform shortcuts, like Alt-Tab (Com-Tab on Mac) and a few others. I can adjust most shortcuts in gnome using metacity or compiz, but this Menu command is resistant.

This is resolved as well. Set the shortcut by right-clicking and selecting prefs. The trick is that for this shortcut, one must reboot for it to take effect.

thx,
feffer

Return to “LMDE Archive”