is it okay to use update kernel using ubuntu kernel natty ?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
indosupremacy

is it okay to use update kernel using ubuntu kernel natty ?

Post by indosupremacy »

Hi All,
i would like to ask , is it okay for me , as a LMDE user to apply this HowTo at linux mint forum http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40185 , to upgrade my kernel using ubuntu kernel ?

Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: is it okay to use update kernel using ubuntu kernel natt

Post by zerozero »

Note that this guide requires no compiling and works for Mint and Ubuntu only
Short answer: no.
LMDE is basically Debian, not Ubuntu; if you need to upgrade your kernel (and really do you?), use the Liquorix kernel (tailored for Debian) or wait for an Debian upgrade.

http://liquorix.net/
viking777

Post by viking777 »

indosupremacy wrote:Hi All,
i would like to ask , is it okay for me , as a LMDE user to apply this HowTo at linux mint forum http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40185 , to upgrade my kernel using ubuntu kernel ?

Thank you
Of course it is OK indosupremacy, it is your computer, so you do what you want with it. Bear in mind a couple of things though. Kendall, whose post you linked to, maintains Mint Fluxbox (and does a superb job incidentally) but Mint Fluxbox is based on Mint Main which in turn is based on Ubuntu. LMDE (as zerozero says) is based on Debian, not Ubuntu so whilst Ubuntu kernels will probably work they will fundamentally alter the nature of the distro you are running. Therefore, whilst it is fine for you to update your kernel with a Ubuntu version it is most definitely not fine for you to come here later on when you find something is no longer working and post your problems on an LMDE forum (at least not without clearly stating what you have done with regard to your kernel). The plain fact is that after you have done this kernel upgrade you are no longer running LMDE, so you should never lay any ensuing problems on LMDE's doormat!

I happen to feel roughly the same about the liquorix kernel as well, but I am probably in a minority there.
indosupremacy

Post by indosupremacy »

thank you for all the reply . based on the reply , nope, i wont use ubuntu kernel to upgrade so i wont post any trouble in this thread .

Tq
ScoobyDan

Post by ScoobyDan »

viking777 wrote:[...snip]
I happen to feel roughly the same about the liquorix kernel as well, but I am probably in a minority there.
Hi viking777,

I feel the same about the liquorix kernel. I have tried three or four versions of the kernel, and have experienced instability (CPU maxing, desktop locking up, etc), so I have returned to the vanilla kernel.

I didn't see any performance or functionality improvements with the liquorix kernel, only issues, so I have returned to the vanilla kernel. As always, YMMV.

Daniel
viking777

Post by viking777 »

ScoobyDan wrote:
Hi viking777,

I feel the same about the liquorix kernel. I have tried three or four versions of the kernel, and have experienced instability (CPU maxing, desktop locking up, etc), so I have returned to the vanilla kernel.

I didn't see any performance or functionality improvements with the liquorix kernel, only issues, so I have returned to the vanilla kernel. As always, YMMV.

Daniel
Thanks for that. I have spent so much time chasing newer/different kernels over the years without noticing a scrap of difference (except increased instability and/or breakage) that I kind of expect it nowadays and don't bother any more. Good to know that nothing has changed since I made that decision :D .
indosupremacy

Post by indosupremacy »

viking777 wrote:
ScoobyDan wrote:
Hi viking777,

Daniel
Thanks for that. I have spent so much time chasing newer/different kernels over the years without noticing a scrap of difference (except increased instability and/or breakage) that I kind of expect it nowadays and don't bother any more. Good to know that nothing has changed since I made that decision :D .
absolutely agree with you , no significant performance boost . I have trying the liquorix kernel (no sognificant improvement compare to debian kernel) , and i even compile .37 kernel optimized for server ( 100 mhz only (no 1000 mhz timer freq) , no preemptive , using deadline i/o , and a few more for server optimized) and the difference , well, slightly small , you can feel it , but it is slightly small .
No problem for me using server optimized kernel or standard debian kernel . .....
in my opinion , to improve performance , it is better to use light wm like lxde or even wm . The performance boost is more significant i think .

Tq
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

LMDE will start getting some new kernels soon enough. No need to go outside the Debian repositories. ;-)
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3

Return to “LMDE Archive”