LibreOffice in LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
elav

LibreOffice in LMDE

Post by elav »

Would not it be possible to add repositories LMDE LibreOffice full package? It would be interesting to have this office suite and Oracle's get rid of OpenOffice. :twisted:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Re: LibreOffice in LMDE

Post by malligt »

If you can be a little bit patient, Libre Office will find its way to the testing repositories.
elav

Post by elav »

malligt wrote:If you can be a little bit patient, Libre Office will find its way to the testing repositories.
I'm waiting :D
CiaW

Post by CiaW »

You can also download the deb file http://www.documentfoundation.org/
Then there should be install instructions, I installed it under /opt. If you don't want to wait. I don't use it often, but the few things I tried seem to work well.
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

You would likely be better served to be patient and WAIT until debian testing puts Libre Office into its repsoitories......I apologize, but I absolutely and realistically cannot imagine a reason or an application you could not wait a few days for...

Ya Ya Ya....less a few % less CPU ,and slightly less RAM use... but gimmme a break as to your earth-shattering application that makes you have to need it immediately to this vey second?

Cite the case....PLEASE

Help us all to understand why? Since there is such an imperceptible difference between LO and OO between the 2 of them, why it is you cannot wait and must have LO today?

I have LO on several computers, and OO on several others..... right now besides some icons...???

Seriously, I'd love to know what your personal and specific, and very immediate need is for LO?

I cannot discern a "current" difference between the 2 packages besides as to what I written above....for my own OFFICE needs...but, yes, I can wait for LO to arrive in the repositories without any personal consequences.

So, I'm really genuinely curious to my question.

Please feel free to outline this immediacy of this need is here:

Thanks.
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

malligt wrote:You would likely be better served to be patient and WAIT until debian testing puts Libre Office into its repsoitories......I apologize, but I absolutely and realistically cannot imagine a reason or an application you could not wait a few days for...

Ya Ya Ya....less a few % less CPU ,and slightly less RAM use... but gimmme a break as to your earth-shattering application that makes you have to need it immediately to this vey second?

Cite the case....PLEASE

Help us all to understand why? Since there is such an imperceptible difference between LO and OO between the 2 of them, why it is you cannot wait and must have LO today?

I have LO on several computers, and OO on several others..... right now besides some icons...???

Seriously, I'd love to know what your personal and specific, and very immediate need is for LO?

I cannot discern a "current" difference between the 2 packages besides as to what I written above....for my own OFFICE needs...but, yes, I can wait for LO to arrive in the repositories without any personal consequences.

Thanks.
Wow, someone could use a break I think. The OP's first response was a pleasant "I'm waiting" with a smiley and was in no way condescending, although this follow-up response most certainly was. There are probably forums more accepting of such a tone, but I don't see the necessity in such a response here to what was both an innocent question and a respectful response (by the OP).
elav

Post by elav »

Greetings ..
I do not know why my question has taken an unexpected course in this subject. First I must say I do not speak English, so use a translator, so you may not be clearly understood my message.

Why use Libreoffice?
1. Because it is not Oracle.
2. Because it works faster.

Also, since I installed from. deb, but it would be nice to have these packages in the repositories do not you think?
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

elav wrote:Greetings ..
I do not know why my question has taken an unexpected course in this subject. First I must say I do not speak English, so use a translator, so you may not be clearly understood my message.
Don't worry about it, most of us are much more mellow :) and the translator your using is very good as I didn't even notice :shock:
CiaW

Post by CiaW »

malligt wrote:You would likely be better served to be patient and WAIT until debian testing puts Libre Office into its repsoitories......I apologize, but I absolutely and realistically cannot imagine a reason or an application you could not wait a few days for...

Hmmm. :shock: I'm not sure if this was directed to the OP or me as I mentioned that I have it installed under /opt. Are you the 'gatekeeper' of whether someone is allowed to have an immediacy to a need (or desire in this case)? Not that I owe you an explanation, but in my case I installed it back when it was in RC1 or 2 to help with testing, because I felt like it. So when it went 'final' I upgraded to the final release. I think it's had a point release since that I haven't got yet... sheesh.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

@ elav - Your translator is very good. It is better than many native English speakers I see posting in the forums. :wink:

I know LibreOffice will show up in Testing soon enough. That will be an automatic offering for LMDE. It should be available for Debian Stable via the Backports about the same time. No worries and no hassles.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
elav

Post by elav »

rivenathos wrote:@ elav - Your translator is very good. It is better than many native English speakers I see posting in the forums. :wink:

I know LibreOffice will show up in Testing soon enough. That will be an automatic offering for LMDE. It should be available for Debian Stable via the Backports about the same time. No worries and no hassles.
Thanks. I hope so. Debian should adopt LibreOffice quickly as it meets with his philosophy. :)
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I have to say I have a lot of sympathy with where malligt is coming from in this thread.

Why do you think that LO is not in testing repos yet?

Could it be because they have all gone down to the lake for a Bar-B-Q and couldn't be bothered to upload it? Or could it be that it hasn't passed the testing needed to be put in the testing repos yet?

I am not some kind of fascist dictator and I don't suppose malligt is either, and what you do with your computer is completely your affair, but I do get really hacked off at times when people suffer from such impatience that they would prefer to wreck their computer chasing updates (not saying that would happen with LO, it is the principle I am talking about) rather than wait a few days for those updates to appear in the normal channels .

The problem is not that they will wreck their computer, that is their fault, the problem is that they will come here and whinge about it and blame LMDE when it is purely their own impatience that has caused it to occur.

Moral: Only chase updates if something is broken. And OO ain't broken.
elav

Post by elav »

Many times we can reach extremes. LibreOffice Who says you can break something on the computer? The fact that Debian will take the time to add a package to the repositories, does not mean that the package is not stable.

I have installed LibreOffice I, like many friends, and are not broken computer. On the contrary, Libreoffice works better and more stable than Openoffice.

This is not to be impatient. LibreOffice and is a stable and do not think anyone suffer any risk to install it. But at least it would be nice to have the option of having LibreOffice in the repositories and each who choose if you install it.
twa

Post by twa »

Schermata-Informazioni su LibreOffice.png
Hi,
have updated LMDE today and Libre Office was among the updates.
have now removed Open Office.
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

I dont seem to see the LibreOffice executable in synaptic only the fonts/accessories...I am using the standard repos.
I could download it from their site but just wondering why I dont see it...
thxs
CiaW

Post by CiaW »

darco wrote:I dont seem to see the LibreOffice executable in synaptic only the fonts/accessories...I am using the standard repos.
I could download it from their site but just wondering why I dont see it...
Same here. I even removed LibO thinking it might be confused since I had it installed under /opt and found some related LibO packages but not LibO itself. I figured it might be an issue of mirrors not yet being synced, etc. so I'm waiting a couple of days to see if it shows up. I'm using the us.debian.org mirror(s).
Yeticannotski

Post by Yeticannotski »

Hey Everyone,

This is my first post in the Forum and my second day in my new LMDE post-Ubuntu-life.

I perfectly understand that maintainers will need some time to update repositories and who can blame them. Still, I am indeed impatient to leave Oracle's self-sabotaged OO in order to migrate to community-driven LibreOffice. However, I am also ready to have only myself to blame if I break my system only to have LibreOffice installed rather sooner than later. On the other hand, I sincerely believe that, instead of getting angry, maintainers should just regard all these insistent requests as natural "user feedback"! :D

That said, even though I don't really read Spanish, but I followed this tutorial to add Ubuntu's LibreOffice ppa and it worked fine:

http://elavdeveloper.wordpress.com/2011 ... desde-ppa/

For spell-check, it is still necessary to use OO's dictionaries (".oxt" files) because LibreOffice's link (Tools -> Language -> More Dictionaries On-line) leads to a (so far) incomplete page, which in the future will only host free extensions:

http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:OpenO ... lang=en-US

When LibreOffice will finally be available in "regular" Debian-LMDE repos, and I look forward to that, I will certainly switch back to them.

Cheers!
elav

Post by elav »

Yeticannotski wrote:Hey Everyone,

This is my first post in the Forum and my second day in my new LMDE post-Ubuntu-life.

I perfectly understand that maintainers will need some time to update repositories and who can blame them. Still, I am indeed impatient to leave Oracle's self-sabotaged OO in order to migrate to community-driven LibreOffice. However, I am also ready to have only myself to blame if I break my system only to have LibreOffice installed rather sooner than later. On the other hand, I sincerely believe that, instead of getting angry, maintainers should just regard all these insistent requests as natural "user feedback"! :D

That said, even though I don't really read Spanish, but I followed this tutorial to add Ubuntu's LibreOffice ppa and it worked fine:

http://elavdeveloper.wordpress.com/2011 ... desde-ppa/

For spell-check, it is still necessary to use OO's dictionaries (".oxt" files) because LibreOffice's link (Tools -> Language -> More Dictionaries On-line) leads to a (so far) incomplete page, which in the future will only host free extensions:

http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:OpenO ... lang=en-US

When LibreOffice will finally be available in "regular" Debian-LMDE repos, and I look forward to that, I will certainly switch back to them.

Cheers!
:D I am glad that my humble manual has been useful.
Yeticannotski

Post by Yeticannotski »

elav wrote: :D I am glad that my humble manual has been useful.
Thank you! Really, it was very helpful. I wouldn't like to be stuck with a static .deb installation. Perhaps, you could update it with information on spell-checkers. I tried to post a "thank you" on your page, but then gave up on the confirmation e-mails. :oops: (shame on me)
elav

Post by elav »

Yeticannotski wrote:
elav wrote: :D I am glad that my humble manual has been useful.
Thank you! Really, it was very helpful. I wouldn't like to be stuck with a static .deb installation. Perhaps, you could update it with information on spell-checkers. I tried to post a "thank you" on your page, but then gave up on the confirmation e-mails. :oops: (shame on me)
Yep. I have to update the article and included the installation of dictionaries and language packs .. Thanks for the tip.

Return to “LMDE Archive”