Streaming Video

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Streaming Video

Post by antiquexray »

I sure, as many others, I try out other distros on my "garbage box" to see what is happening out there. I found a PCLinuxOS based distro called SAM. One thing I noticed it did that Mint (as least for me) doesn't is play certain streaming videos. Now, what I want to know is why and what do I need to do to get Mint doing the same.

PS In Mint, I'll get a "(no video)" message.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Streaming Video

Post by scorp123 »

antiquexray wrote: Mint (as least for me) doesn't is play certain streaming videos. Now, what I want to know is why and what do I need to do to get Mint doing the same.
Those 'certain videos' probably need 'certain' codecs in order to be played correctly? Install those codecs and everything should play fine.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

scorp123 wrote:
antiquexray wrote: Mint (as least for me) doesn't is play certain streaming videos. Now, what I want to know is why and what do I need to do to get Mint doing the same.
Those 'certain videos' probably need 'certain' codecs in order to be played correctly? Install those codecs and everything should play fine.
Well, how do I determine what codecs are in SAM that are not in Mint?
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi
doesn't is play certain streaming videos
Can you give a URL or type please?

and have you configured Mplayer?

http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2512

Nick
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

antiquexray wrote: Well, how do I determine what codecs are in SAM that are not in Mint?
Well ... it would help if you could tell us what streaming videos you were talking about, on which web site they could be found, and so on. Then I could tell you why they're not playing and how you might go about fixing this ... I don't have a crystall ball here and my skills at Tarot suck :wink: So I have to rely on the information you give me. "certain streaming video doesn't work" isn't much of a useful information, you see :wink:

Can you post an example? e.g. "This video works here, doesn't work in Mint .... " + URL
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

scorp123 wrote:
antiquexray wrote: Well, how do I determine what codecs are in SAM that are not in Mint?
Well ... it would help if you could tell us what streaming videos you were talking about, on which web site they could be found, and so on. Then I could tell you why they're not playing and how you might go about fixing this ... I don't have a crystall ball here and my skills at Tarot suck :wink: So I have to rely on the information you give me. "certain streaming video doesn't work" isn't much of a useful information, you see :wink:

Can you post an example? e.g. "This video works here, doesn't work in Mint .... " + URL
Very well, not that I can see why it is necessary to know the streaming webs sites in order to compare the differences in codecs between SAM Linux and Mint, but if you must know, one example was drgenescott.org.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

MegaDude wrote:You might want to check and see if you have the VLC mozilla plug-in installed. If you do it will override the m-player plug-in. I got the same "no video" message as you and fixed it by uninstalling the VLC plug-in.
Actually, I do have the VLC plug-in installed. I'll try that. Thanks.
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi antiquexray

Works fine here, if I click wmp (gulp) icon.

I do not have VLC plugin installed so probably MegaDude was correct, also works in Konqueror and opens in Kmplayer

Nick
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

nick wrote:Hi antiquexray

Works fine here, if I click wmp (gulp) icon.

I do not have VLC plugin installed so probably MegaDude was correct, also works in Konqueror and opens in Kmplayer

Nick
Acutally, MegaDude was absolutely correct. I uninstalled VLC and it works just fine now. Thank you MegaDude, you've solved my problem.

I was afraid I'd found something that PCLinuxOS/SAM could do that LinuxMint couldn't. That distressed me. I've been with Mint from nearly the beginning. I've touted it's advantages to many and was not happy about the prospect of having to change distros.

Thanks again.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

antiquexray wrote: Very well, not that I can see why it is necessary to know the streaming webs sites
Troubleshooting. Or how else could one analyse the problem?
antiquexray wrote: in order to compare the differences in codecs between SAM Linux and Mint
First of all: I don't have that "SAM" distro. So how am I supposed to compare it then? And no, I am not going to download and install it, that would take away too much of my time. Second: Most distros use different package names. Take the Firefox browser for example: Some distros call the package "Mozilla-Firefox"; others just call it "firefox"; or it's called "mozilla-firefox" (yes, case matters here! "Mozilla-Firefox" and "mozilla-firefox" are not the same thing!). So that's just for a browser. As for the numerous multimedia codec packages .... the attempt to compare those packages, their names, and their contents would be just plain idiotic and an endless waste of time.

This is not how you fix problems! ... or how you will get someone to fix them for you. You have to point out what works and what doesn't, then the people who help you can analyse the problem and tell you what's wrong.

When was the last time you went to your doctor? "Hi doc, I have a certain feeling in a certain organ in a certain part of my body .... " Do you really expect a correct diagnosis if you say something like that to your doctor? What's your doctor supposed to say if you give him a description like that?? "Yeah right, sit here, I will do a comparison between your body and a completely healthy body .... " :roll:

Wouldn't this be more efficient? e.g.: "Hi doc, I have some pain in my left foot, it hurts a lot when I stand on it and during the night I get this pulsating feeling ... I can hardly sleep ..... " <== that's how it works.

Anything else is --sorry to say so-- quite unrealstic.
antiquexray wrote: but if you must know, one example was drgenescott.org.
Well you see? The moment you posted that info others were able to solve the problem for you. :roll: :lol:

Return to “Other topics”