Firefox returns to Ubuntu mode after security updates

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Raphael
Level 1
Level 1

Firefox returns to Ubuntu mode after security updates

Post by Raphael »

Hi,

I've installed Celena a while ago. The Celena release announcement says that you maintain Firefox yourself now, to get rid of the problem with every updated version trying to load the Ubuntu Firefox start page. But for some reason, that doesn't work for me. All the time since I my first routine update installation after I installed Celena, Firefox has tried to load the Ubuntu Firefox page, just as it did in Cassandra. Any advice?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

Are you using the update-manager? Did it upgrade your base to Gutsy?

Clem
Raphael
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Raphael »

No, I'm using the update function in Synaptic. (And thanks for all, while we're at it.)
Raphael
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Raphael »

I've now downloaded the firefox-related packages from the Mint repository by hand and installed them with dpkg and deleted the .mozilla directory, but firefox still tries to load the ubuntu firefox start page.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi Raphael,

You can either define a start page yourself using Firefox or edit /usr/share/firefox/browserconfig.properties

Clem
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

If you want the original Celena start page just set your homepage to:

http://www.linuxmint.com/start/

Aloha, Tim

Return to “Beginner Questions”