Awesome battery life!

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Dr.m0x

Awesome battery life!

Post by Dr.m0x »

Yes thanks to LMDE my Aspire 4741g laptop (core i5 430m/nividia gt320 14" screen) now has the most epic battery life i've ever experienced on any operating system.

According to powertop, its using only 1.7w with wifi and screen on and should last for a full day or so.

Of course this is complete bollocks and something is buggy. :(

I reckon its still only gonna last about 3 hours like it always has on either windows or linux. Anyone wanna bet me wrong?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Awesome battery life!

Post by ibm450 »

not at all. i personally found linux to have the worst battery power management of all.

i can get close onto 10 hrs on my Asus UL50VT running w7 on powersave mode while watching movies, working on spread sheets / word (ms office) and gimp without any issues.

i can only manage a lousy 2.5 - 3 hrs max either on lm10 gnome / kde. :cry:
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
jam666

Post by jam666 »

ibm450 wrote:i can get close onto 10 hrs on my Asus UL50VT running w7 on powersave mode while watching movies, working on spread sheets / word (ms office) and gimp without any issues.

I can see that you've got switchable graphics in your laptop, have you configured vgaswitcheroo? I've got Acer 4810tzg with intel/ati graphics and before i configured vgaswitcheroo battery time in mine was same as yours, 2,5 - 3 hrs max, right now it easily gets 5,5 - 7 hrs depending what sort of work I'm doing. It's not as good as in windows, which was 6,5 - 8 hrs until I kicked it out of my laptop :wink: I'm using LMDE 64bit and not using any desktop effects.
Dr.m0x

Re: Re: Awesome battery life!

Post by Dr.m0x »

jam666 wrote:
ibm450 wrote:i can get close onto 10 hrs on my Asus UL50VT running w7 on powersave mode while watching movies, working on spread sheets / word (ms office) and gimp without any issues.

I can see that you've got switchable graphics in your laptop, have you configured vgaswitcheroo? I've got Acer 4810tzg with intel/ati graphics and before i configured vgaswitcheroo battery time in mine was same as yours, 2,5 - 3 hrs max, right now it easily gets 5,5 - 7 hrs depending what sort of work I'm doing. It's not as good as in windows, which was 6,5 - 8 hrs until I kicked it out of my laptop :wink: I'm using LMDE 64bit and not using any desktop effects.
Thanks for the tip. I will look into that when I get since some time. I'm not sure how it can improve on my present 27 hours though.

--- I am geek. Hear me squeek. ---
jam666

Re: Re: Awesome battery life!

Post by jam666 »

Dr.m0x wrote:
jam666 wrote:

Thanks for the tip. I will look into that when I get since some time. I'm not sure how it can improve on my present 27 hours though.
My post was directed to ibm450, you do not have switchable graphics. Acer says that your laptop will work on battery for 3 - 4hrs. About powertop, it's probably a nasty bug, just checked it on my laptop and it gave me 0.7w and amazing 86.7 hours of working time :mrgreen: (I would like to see that happen)
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

cheers for the info, were do i get the vgaswitcheroo and is it a normal easy install (deb file) or do i have to compile it and run make and run config and and and and .....
Image Image
jam666

Post by jam666 »

ibm450 wrote:cheers for the info, were do i get the vgaswitcheroo and is it a normal easy install (deb file) or do i have to compile it and run make and run config and and and and .....
It's not that easy unfortunately, it took me about 2 days to figure it out, but that was because I was unable to find complete A to Z HOW TO for debian and my card. Vgaswitcheroo is implemented into kernel from version 2.6.33 I think, so You'll have to update. I had some problems with modesetting and Liquorix kernels as well as kernels compiled by myself using standard method, but then I discovered cooll little program called Kernel Check, and using it I finally got it to work properly. Note that using vgaswitcheroo You'll need to kill X before switching cards and in my laptop HDMI port does not work with Intel chip, but I don't use it too often. I'm thinking of writing HOW TO if I'll find some spare time, meanwhile you can check this out http://linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspot.com/
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

cheers Jam666 for the info

im currently running both lm10 gnome and lm10 kde on kernel 2.6.38-1 and as for kernel updates, ive found that this kernel has made a huge difference to performance gains on my laptop ASUS UL50vt, and at this stage, couldnt be happier with the performance gain :)

ill sit this one out and wait for your HOW TO as i, to be honest, at this stage, unable to waste a large part of my time off from work (work away in the bush) trying to get this to run on my setup.

lol, ive already spent a good day reinstalling lm10 gn and kde as i tend to tinker alot with linux when im away from home for 2 weeks
Image Image

Return to “LMDE Archive”