editing software

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: editing software

Post by scorp123 »

dreamer wrote:what's the best compatible video editing software for linuxmint?
Define 'compatible' please? :roll: 'Compatible' to what?? :lol:

Tryout kino (you can install it via Synaptic) ... maybe this is what you were looking for?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Welcome to Mint dreamer
This may help
http://www.linux.com/articles/60624
Unfortunately when you google for "video editing linux" you get a bunch of hits that are too old - using kernel 2.4something - won't work :cry:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

bytehopper wrote:Take a look at LiVES
Nice info page and Feisty *.deb package can be found here:
removed/app.php?name=LiVES

Infos about kino + Feisty *.deb package:
removed/app.php?name=Kino
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: editing software

Post by scorp123 »

dreamer wrote: well, i have sony vegas, and it's kind of hard for me to figure out, i heard it's not very compatible with linux
Was that software written for Linux? If not then it's not 'compatible' at all, and not only "not very compatible".
dreamer wrote: what i'm trying to do is make music videos out of my videos that i have and i want to cut certain scenes from one video and add a scene from another, will kino do that?
Yes. You might also want to try the other packages mentioned in this thread. Then look what works best for you.
Roel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Roel »

Hello,

I'm new to video editing myself, I've been making short clips with a digital photo camera and have only recently bought a miniDV cam from ebay :D

If you get your footage from a (mini)DV camera, you definitely want Kino, it's just great. It can deinterlace and add a few effects, enough for the quick edit, you know, cut what you don't need and stuff. Just get it anyway.

If you would like some more fun take a look at Cinelerra (be sure to use the community version, not the heroine one), it does crash a lot (A LOT!) but it recovers nicely. It's often criticized for it's complicated interface but I'm a total n00b and it works just fine for me, add video tracks start mixing.

I didn't check out Lives yet but I will soon.

Return to “Beginner Questions”