[Solved] Changing the Mint Menu shortcut

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
feffer
Level 4
Level 4

[Solved] Changing the Mint Menu shortcut

Post by feffer »

The standard shortcut is "Ctl - Super_L" where Super_L is also known as the windows key or the Meta key. I want to change this to "Alt-Space". Doing right-click enables the Mint Menu prefs, and seems to allow me to change the shortcut key, but this doesn't seem to work even after a log-out, and log back in. Any idea how I can make this change?

thx,
feffer

Edit: Solved -- see post three.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vincent

Re: Changing the Mint Menu shortcut

Post by vincent »

Try "<Alt>Space" instead.
feffer
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Changing the Mint Menu shortcut

Post by feffer »

Thx Vincent. Actually when I wrote it, I did mean <Alt>Space and that's what I tried unsuccessfully. On previous occasions I've had two issues with setting shortcut keys in Gnome. The first was when I had Compiz running and it superseded whatever I had set in Metacity. This was easy, just set the keybinding in Compiz. The second problem was that some shortcut keys change immediately, but a few are resistant and require a log-out and log back in again. I knew about this, and tried it with MintMenu, but it didn't work. At that point, I posted. I had NOT tried rebooting (as that's rarely needed in linux). Finally I tried that and it worked. I actually used <Alt>space (lowercase), but I don't think that makes a difference. I'm a bit embarrassed. :oops: Maybe MintMenu needs the reboot because something it needs is loading very early in the boot process. I don't know, but reboot did it. Marking the first post Solved.

feffer

Return to “LMDE Archive”