Firefox: Import wizard

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Post by T J Tulley »

I want to import my Bookmarks from my Cassandra to my Celena system - in Help this is identified as Firefox 2.0.0.6 (Linux Mint) and Import is listed as an item in the File menu.

The drop-down menu from File does NOT include Import.

Help please! >

[Not sure whether this is one for Mint or Mozilla-Thunderbird forum - but it appears to be a Mint version of Firefox].
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Firefox: Import wizard

Post by scorp123 »

T J Tulley wrote:I want to import my Bookmarks from my Cassandra to my Celena system.
Just copy the folder ".mozilla" (please note the dot on the beginning) to the new location. All your Firefox settings are in there, incl. your bookmarks.html file in which all your bookmarks are stored.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Post by T J Tulley »

Thanks Scorp123 - that has solved the immediate problem but there will be other things to import - I have quite a collection of advice on some details, but it seems that the Import wizard should be available - is this gap the result of revisions from version to version of the software suite?

Similarly, when I look for Help in Celena's File browser, I get a box saying:
Help document user-guide/user-guide.xml not found.

Can this be downloaded separately? I installed from a downloaded iso disk image file.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

The scorp method is very good! :D
But if really you want use the import function then go to the Bookmark Manager (gestionnaire de marque-pages in French) click on file then import and go to the place where are your bookmarks.
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Imports et c.

Post by T J Tulley »

Thanks Scorp123 - yes the Scorp method worked for Bookmarks - but I think there is an issue about the software - the Wizard ought to be there if Firefox help says it is. I shall want to import e-mails - and yes I've been using various methods which work, but I have a major problem with my Windows e-mail archives and directory structure. I have information about Import/Export Tools (nic-nac-project) but I haven't had time to explore it fully. I'm not at present enquiring about this.

In addition I raised in my second mail the question of Help in Celena - wherever this is requested, the response is as I said:

Should that be a separate download or isn't it ready yet?
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Imports et c.

Post by scorp123 »

T J Tulley wrote: but I have a major problem with my Windows e-mail archives and directory structure.
Use Thunderbird on Windows. It can import e-mails from most Microsoft mail programs such as Outlook and Outlook Express (by talking to those programs via their native programming interfaces ... that's why only the Windows version of Thunderbird can do this). Once you got all your stuff in Thunderbird getting this stuff moved over to Linux is extremely easy. Same method as with Firefox: You just copy over the right folders and ...taddaaaa!... all your mails are there.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Imports in general - and Help.

Post by T J Tulley »

Thanks again Scorp123 - it's not so simple.

My only working Windows at present is on my laptop, where my Mail store copied from OE6 in the PC expanded to all individual folders - no structure. I was expecting to copy to TB there, but not with all those separate folders. The software I mentioned offers hope, but will take a bit of study.

But please respond to my question about Help in Celena File Browser. It always produces a box saying:

Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Imports in general - and Help.

Post by scorp123 »

T J Tulley wrote: But please respond to my question about Help in Celena File Browser. It always produces a box saying:

No idea there, sorry. Can anyone else here take a look at this please? Does anyone else here get this error too (e.g. the error message can be reproduced)? ... Or maybe the file just got corrupted and is now missing? But to be really sure it would be great to hear from other people here ...

Return to “Beginner Questions”