Firefox tabs

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TheLostOtter
Level 1
Level 1

Firefox tabs

Post by TheLostOtter »

Ok, I have my Firefox preferences set so that new links should open in new tabs, but they never do. Whenever I click on a link it opens up in a new window. How can I fix this? Thanks

Oh yeah, I'm running Celena

Ryne
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

I am in Xubuntu Gutsy and that setting doesn't work either.
I always just used the middle mouse button(scroll wheel) to open in new tab.
TheLostOtter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheLostOtter »

Hey, thanks for telling me that, problem solved! But I'd still like to hear if anyone has another solution.

Ryne
sanguinemoon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sanguinemoon »

I don't believe there is a solution. I was reading through the Fx documentation and saw that if a page specifies that a link should open a window, it WILL override your setting and open a new window instead. What was going through the developer's heads, I have no idea.
TheLostOtter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheLostOtter »

That is retarded, but makes sense. Thanks for the info!

Ryne
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

Have you tried 'TabMix Plus' extension? It has myriad of features to tame tabs in Firefox. I don't know if it will do what you want explicitly, but it has a host of useful feature in any case. Check it out.
TheLostOtter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheLostOtter »

cmost wrote:Have you tried 'TabMix Plus' extension? It has myriad of features to tame tabs in Firefox. I don't know if it will do what you want explicitly, but it has a host of useful feature in any case. Check it out.
Thanks dude! That fixed it!

Ryne
sanguinemoon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sanguinemoon »

Ah, cool. I didn't know about this extension either.

Also Netscape 9 (based on Firefox) also obeys user preferences in dealing with tabs.
Alpha-Geek
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Alpha-Geek »

It may have been a coincidence, but I told FF to open in a new window, clicked ok...then changed it back to open in a tab. Seemed to open new tabs after that. Another extension I like is "colorful tabs". https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1368

Return to “Other topics”