[Solved] MintMenu needs TWO clicks after a fresh login?!

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
RavanH

[Solved] MintMenu needs TWO clicks after a fresh login?!

Post by RavanH »

Hi,

I noticed the weirdest thing: Each time I start my laptop and login, the first time I want to open the menu, I need to click it twice before it opens. After that, it will open immediately after the first click...

Maybe it is not really "not opening" as it does show the drop shadow that should be surrounding the menu. As a sort of ghost-menu, with the actual content being completely transparent.

Wonder if anyone else sees this behaviour. Might it be related to my graphics card? It's an ATI Radeon Xpress 200M onboard card with (currently) 128Mb shared memory using the radeon kernel driver. I can not enable Desktop Effects / Compiz (disabled in LMDE for this particular card/driver?) but I did set Gnome-composite (metacity composite) in Desktop settings...

Thanks for any thoughts :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: MintMenu needs TWO clicks after a fresh login?!

Post by Aging Technogeek »

This has been posted before. The immediate work around until a permanent fix is found is to right click the menu icon, select Preferences, open the Options tab and set menu opacity to 100%. This seems to work for most users.
RavanH

Re: MintMenu needs TWO clicks after a fresh login?!

Post by RavanH »

Aging Technogeek wrote:This has been posted before. The immediate work around until a permanent fix is found is to right click the menu icon, select Preferences, open the Options tab and set menu opacity to 100%. This seems to work for most users.
Thanks Aging,

I had searched for mintmenu in the Debian specific forum but did not find that solution. Maybe it's in another forum then? I supposed it was LMDE specific because I have not seen it happen on any of the Mint installs I did before...

Will try it immediately!

EDIT: Yep, that solves it... Thanks ! :)
danger89

Re: [Solved] MintMenu needs TWO clicks after a fresh login?!

Post by danger89 »

Lol I got exactly the same issue. Strange fix however, hopefully it works fine here.

I was because of something I installed. I tried mac4lin and removed it again, after that I got this 2x click on Linux Mint menu problem. The rest seems to work normally again. It's GTK related.
Art1

Re: [Solved] MintMenu needs TWO clicks after a fresh login?!

Post by Art1 »

This problem with Mintmenu is still here (I tried the Mint 14 MATE edition), so probably it isn't easy to repair it. That's why I wonder if it is possible to set the default opacity to 100% in the next Mint Mate release (and maybe remove the opacity option). It will be less confusing and Mint will look better for the people which don't like to search the solution on the internet.

Return to “LMDE Archive”