[Solved] How to change the Debian background on login?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Imagus
Level 3
Level 3

[Solved] How to change the Debian background on login?

Post by Imagus »

Sorry if this has been asked before, but searching the forums for "background image" or "login screen" gave me too many results to be useful.

I would like to change the blue Debian screen that appears while booting LMDE. I liked the previous Debian screens, but not this recent spacefun-splash thingy, it looks like a Christmas card with those red and white stars. So I searched for the images on my computer, and found these files in my /usr/share/images/desktop-base folder:

spacefun-splash.svg
spacefun-wallpager.svg
spacefun-wallpaper-widescreen.svg

I think the easiest way to change the screen would be to replace the contents of these files with another image, but isn't there another way? Is there maybe a .cfg file in which those files are referenced or what is the proper way to do this?

Also, do the images have to be in svg format or can I use another format as well?

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vincent

Re: How to change the Debian background on login?

Post by vincent »

Code: Select all

sudo update-alternatives --config desktop-splash
Or as you said, you could simply replace spacefun-splash.svg with your own image. And no, it does not have to be a .svg image.
Imagus
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How to change the Debian background on login?

Post by Imagus »

vincent wrote:

Code: Select all

sudo update-alternatives --config desktop-splash
Or as you said, you could simply replace spacefun-splash.svg with your own image. And no, it does not have to be a .svg image.
I had no idea this could be done in the terminal...

Thank you!

Return to “LMDE Archive”