Some issues with my LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
raforon

Some issues with my LMDE

Post by raforon »

Hi I have recently installed LMDE on my laptop. It is great distro. I have been having some problems

1. update manager asks to fix broken packages, but updates fine if run through terminal. This was a solution that I found in the forums.

2. whenever I am working in a terminal, pressing backspace, delete or up and down arrows starts adding funny characters in terminal. One spelling mistake in a command and I have to close the terminal and start over. I have tried roxterm, and other terminals. They all have the same problem in LMDE.

3. My laptop is IBM hinkpad t41. Touchpad is not working correctly. I can drag the cursor, scroll a page ok with touchpad but the tap/click is not working.

4. I have conky setupto run 10 seconds after startup with a script. It starts fine but whenever I click on "show desktop" icon, conky dissappears.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
amina

Re: Some issues with my LMDE

Post by amina »

Hi,

1. Regarding broken packages, it has been pointed out in other threads, that MintUpdate is not really designed for LMDE and it is not always working. This may change with time but for now, it is recommended to use either the terminal or synaptic and install all updates, especially if you get errors in MintUpdate.

2. could you please give examples on what funny characters appear in terminal? Are they always the same and specific to the key you press?

3. I also use a touchpad and had to first enable it (in fact, moving, scrolling and right click worked out of the box, only had problem with left click). Have you already tried to go to the mouse settings, touchpad tab and enable it?

4. please take a look at this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5176454
(I cannot test as I do not use conky)
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Silent Warrior »

1. Just remember to be responsible about these updates - this is a rolling release, and blind updating can get you in all kinds of unpleasantries if you're not careful. (For example, I was just hit by an update to NetworkManager that killed my wireless. It'll take a while to get back to normal... Just keep an eye on what is updated, that'll make it easier to sort out any problems.)
raforon

Post by raforon »

Thank you all for your replies and time.

1. I have been using terminal for updates. How do I use the level 1 and 2 updates only with terminal? What I get from your answer is that all updates, level 1 to 5 are done is I do it via terminal or synaptic.

2. The funny characters look like small boxes with little circles in them. I am at work (i know). I will try to send a screen shot of that in the evening.

3. I will try that fix in the evening

4. I will try it in the evening

Again thank you for your time. I will update you on progress.
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Silent Warrior »

1. You don't get any levels in the terminal or Synaptic - it's a Mint-specific idea. In other words, it's sort of the other way around (Mint's levels is another filter, like the categories or other filters in Synaptic), but let's not get too confused. It's probably best to use Synaptic, as it provides a transaction history. Then, if something goes belly-up after an update, it'll be easier to look for suspects.

2. Sounds like the encoding is glitchy, then. (Nope, no idea how to fix that, myself - the screenshots will be much appreciated by others looking into this.) What language and keyboard-layout are you using?
raforon

Post by raforon »

Thanks for reply
US keyboard layout, English language. I hope that was what you were asking.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

with LMDE it is advisable to use all 5 levels...this rolling direct debian testing based distro is not the same as the Ubuntu based Main Edition...
If you don't use all 5 you may have problems down the road...

incidentally, other ubuntu based distros including ubuntu itself, does not have selected levels for updating like mint does and in the several years i used ubuntu itself before discovering mint, i never had any real problems with the updates that were sent down...

i use to use mint update on LMDE but now do it all in the terminal, just using update as an "alert" to let me know new package are available...mostly because Mint Update has occasionally been having problems with the updates...
raforon

Post by raforon »

Thank you for explaining

Touchpad problem fixed after enabling it in preferences.

Conky issue fixed.

terminal issue still not fixed. I have attached a screnshot of the terminal
Last edited by raforon on Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
amina

Post by amina »

Unfortunately I have no idea about what is causing this.

Until someone has a solution and to test if it works, you could try to use:

Ctrl + H instead of backspace
Ctrl + P instead of up
Ctrl + N instead of down
Ctrl + B instead of left
Ctrl + F instead of right

and see if it works.
raforon

Post by raforon »

Thank you

I will try it when i am home.
CiaW

Post by CiaW »

If your terminal is ROXterm, that's not the GNOME terminal, are you using an LXDE desktop? Or maybe xfce, I forget which uses roxterm.

At any rate, I'd suggest the issue might have to do with installed fonts (or lack thereof). I just did a quick search for roxterm fonts, and it may be you'll want to install some X11 fonts. If you open synaptic and search for fonts you'll get a LOT of choices, but it's pretty likely that's the issue.
raforon

Post by raforon »

Hi
Roxterm is the one that I am using currently. It has the same problem with gnome-terminal. Infact I installed roxterm because of that.
Can you please explain, how it could be related to fonts?
raforon

Post by raforon »

amina wrote:Unfortunately I have no idea about what is causing this.

Until someone has a solution and to test if it works, you could try to use:

Ctrl + H instead of backspace
Ctrl + P instead of up
Ctrl + N instead of down
Ctrl + B instead of left
Ctrl + F instead of right

and see if it works.
It does the same thing with the shortcuts suggested by you.
CiaW

Post by CiaW »

raforon wrote:Hi
Roxterm is the one that I am using currently. It has the same problem with gnome-terminal. Infact I installed roxterm because of that.
Can you please explain, how it could be related to fonts?
I have seen in other applications that unreadable characters clear up when the correct fonts are installed, or when the defaults are revised to use installed fonts. Sorry I forgot to suggest you check the font or display preferences, that might make a difference also. I don't have a recent LMDE example, I'm thinking when I used Fedora.
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Silent Warrior »

Ah. Well, Gnome's Appearance-module looks the same as it has for a while. Allow me:
raforon: Either right-click on the desktop and click Change wallpaper or go to Menu -> Settings -> Appearance and click the Fonts-tab. Change the font given for 'Fixed-width font' (or whatever it's called in your locale - the option is at the bottom) to, well, anything else, and see if that helps. Try the Liberation-family of fonts, or Droid, Nexus, one of the Artwiz-fonts, maybe the Ubuntu-family... Try these if you're a few fonts short:

Code: Select all

apt install ttf-freefont ttf-bitstream-vera ttf-inconsolata ttf-liberation
raforon

Post by raforon »

Thank you for replying. I will try this this evening and will post the progress
raforon

Post by raforon »

CiaW wrote: I have seen in other applications that unreadable characters clear up when the correct fonts are installed, or when the defaults are revised to use installed fonts. Sorry I forgot to suggest you check the font or display preferences, that might make a difference also. I don't have a recent LMDE example, I'm thinking when I used Fedora.
I could be wrong but if it is related to fonts, I should not be able to enter any other alphabets. The thing is I can enter all but it is just the back space key (moves cursor forward and starts printing gibberish), up and right-left arrows. I can not seem to bring the cursor back at all. All other keys type their corresponding letters ok, I just can not delete anything or move the cursor back at all.

Thanks
CiaW

Post by CiaW »

I could be wrong but if it is related to fonts, I should not be able to enter any other alphabets. The thing is I can enter all but it is just the back space key (moves cursor forward and starts printing gibberish), up and right-left arrows. I can not seem to bring the cursor back at all. All other keys type their corresponding letters ok, I just can not delete anything or move the cursor back at all.
Thanks
Oh yeah, you have a point there. When I originally read the message I thought they were separate issues. My bad. Never mind. :?
amina

Post by amina »

But also the Ctrl key seems to misfunction if the combinations do not work either.... could you please check Ctrl + C for example?
raforon

Post by raforon »

amina wrote:But also the Ctrl key seems to misfunction if the combinations do not work either.... could you please check Ctrl + C for example?
Ctrl+C works fine.

Return to “LMDE Archive”