Fix for an issue "Fix Broken Packages"

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Fix for an issue "Fix Broken Packages"

Post by willie42 »

I have noticed the last 2 times I have had updates I tried to install them and got the message "fix broken packages" I tried every way to fix the broken packages and

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
and the only way I could get LMDE to update was to install them a few at a time.

I don't have any answers but hopefully this will help others to get theirs updated.

hope this helps :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Fix for an issue "Fix Broken Packages"

Post by tdockery97 »

I found that running

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --configure -a
before doing the updates seemed to work. I only use Mint Update Manager to look over the list of pending updates. I do the updates in the Terminal as you demonstrated above willie42.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

tdockery, can you pin a thread for these "fix broken packages" events? I've seen 3 since the squeeze release.

zerozero took the initiative: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=67502
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

I tried every way Tdocery the only way I could get it to work is install 1 to 3 updates at a time.
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

Installing in small groups oftentimes works best. The problems I have seen happen involve usually trying to install everything at one time. Different methods for different machines, etc.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
Cliff
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cliff »

Hi Everyone,
I had the same "fix broken packages first" notice when installing all updates at once.
I first tried installing half but that didn't work either.
Trial & error led me to doing 20 at the time - that worked fine.
I also inadvertently ended up with Libre Office replacing Open Office, which I wanted to try anyway. It seems to work better & is definitely faster.
I have only been installing update 1,2,& 3. I haven't instlalled a dist-upgrade. Everything seems to work fine (actually perfect) at the moment so I'm hesitant about dist-upgrade.
Any comments or advice on dist-upgrade would be appreciated.

Have a good day folks,
Cliff
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Yes..i would suggest you enable all 5 levels on the updater as it is important to get all the updates on a rolling distribution to avoid possible problems down the road :wink:

Also, anytime you get "fix broken packages" in the updater, then just do the updates in the terminal instead and it will straighten out...
use this command:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Those two together will fetch the updates and then install them...if it needs to ask you any questions it wlll do so..which you respond with a y (yes) or an n (no)....

Lately, because the terminal method works so well,i find i have been just using the updater as a method to know when new updates are available and i then do them all in the terminal instead...works great!

But first, be sure to enable all 5 levels on updater.... :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”