Simple picture editor

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
burjans

Simple picture editor

Post by burjans »

Gimp is an alternative for Adobe Photosop and Corel PhotoPaint, so, I think is not necessary to include by default because is not for common users, would be good Pinta ( http://www.pinta-project.com ) o Nathive ( http://www.nathive.org/ )

http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/1327
viking777

Re: Simple picture editor

Post by viking777 »

They both look good burjans, and I have never heard of either of them before.

Personally my own needs are so basic that I always uninstall Gimp (shock, horror), and install gthumb instead. Now gthumb is called an 'image viewer' (although it is more than that) and you are talking about a 'picture editor' which is probably not the same thing, but whatever you call them, the point is that not everyone needs or welcomes the complexity of Gimp or Open/LibreOffice and these simplified programs have a real place within the Linux world. Personally I welcome them.
burjans

Post by burjans »

Look the link please and you will see what is Pinta. Now Pinta is in Debian Testing, you can to install using:

LMDE

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude install pinta
Linux Mint

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install pinta
Pinta is an alternative to the Paint in Windows .. easy and intuitive to use.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Look the link please and you will see what is Pinta
I did look at the link, that is why I was able to say "It looks good" :)
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

If you are really into photo customizing and editing, then you want a full fledged package that can handle many types of photo sources and edits..

I have seen Pinta before, however as to default application selection, it is partly what is well known, so the Gimp is well known, although others are mentioned often enough --professional type of software, although one should always compare to a standard such as Gimp, to check its capabilities
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/06/ligh ... o-editing/
--photo sites, such as Flickr or Fspot
burjans

Post by burjans »

Professional software of edition is not comming in the operating system (Photoshop or Photopaint are not by default in Windows) ¿why? ... is simple, all users are not designers ... if you are a professional designer you can to install from repositories.

I hope you understand my opinion

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 90#p396990

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 59#p388959

Gimp is an space is unjustified
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

burjans wrote:[sic] Professional software of edition is not comming in the operating system (Photoshop or Photopaint are not by default in Windows) ¿why? ... is simple, all users are not designers ...
I disagree. Let's set the record straight here. Adobe Photoshop and Corel Photopaint are not included as default applications for Microsoft Windows for the simple reason that they are optional productivity software that you have to purchase separately.

If we were to follow your logic, then we should say that MS-Word is for professional writers only and mere mortals like you and me should be content with a much more simpler word processor like the built-in Windows Write. So, is that the reason why MS-Word (or MS-Office-whatever-version for that matter) was not included as default in Windows? NO! It's not included because it's an optional productivity software that is more feature-rich than Windows Write and it has to be purchased separately!

And just because MS-Windows included a simple paint program like MS-Paint doesn't necessarily mean Linux distros should also follow the same suit. Matter of fact, the Gimp has been a de facto standard/photo editor of choice for the popular lot of Linux distros for years (and the same applies with OpenOffice).

The real reasons why users say the Gimp is hard to use/too complex/what-other-horrendous-reasoning-for-such-an-abomination-against-the-Gimp is simply because (1) the default interface is "too much" for them and (2) they never gave it a time of day to LEARN how to use the application properly so it can be used as a productivity tool, even if it were as simple as editing the brightness and contrast of a picture.

As for the default interface? It's simply a matter of toning down the amount of toolbars/dockable dialog boxes that is being shown. If seeing the main window, toolbox, tools options and layers as separate windows too much to handle, then customize it! For beginners they probably don't have a need to see the layers dock, so get rid of it! It can always be show later when the need arises. The tools options can always be combined with the toolbox, so that's another dock solved. As for the main window, maximize it. Doing some simple initial customizations of the default interface goes a long way on how visually comfortable an application can become.

The Gimp CAN be a simple picture editor. Only if a user want it to. It all boils down in a user's mindset that makes him/her believe that so-and-so program is too complex to be used on ordinary things.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

On the other hand you will find that other folks like GIMP. I use it for all (well most) of my photo processing needs and would have to install it from the repository if it was pulled from the base install. That is the problem with preferences one mans must have is another's piece of smelly stuff. Enjoy
burjans

Post by burjans »

If we were to follow your logic, then we should say that MS-Word is for professional writers only and mere mortals like you and me should be content with a much more simpler word processor like the built-in Windows Write. So, is that the reason why MS-Word (or MS-Office-whatever-version for that matter) was not included as default in Windows? NO! It's not included because it's an optional productivity software that is more feature-rich than Windows Write and it has to be purchased separately!
I am sorry if you want to compare Gimp with the suite Office, this is not the point, you changed the theme.

The suite office is of general purpose, the applications like Photoshop or Photpaint (Gimp) are not.
The real reasons why users say the Gimp is hard to use/too complex/what-other-horrendous-reasoning-for-such-an-abomination-against-the-Gimp is simply because (1) the default interface is "too much" for them and (2) they never gave it a time of day to LEARN how to use the application properly so it can be used as a productivity tool, even if it were as simple as editing the brightness and contrast of a picture.
May be you are right, but if I need to use many days to learn something ..... is not so easy to learn to use Gimp how do you say, is easy only for the people who used Photoshop before.

Obviously that Paint is inlcuded in Windows to be used by anyone, in the same case Pinta must to be included for the same reason.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

I am sorry if you want to compare Gimp with the suite Office, this is not the point, you changed the theme.
No! It's not my intention to change the theme of this thread. That whole paragraph was meant to serve as an example to support my main point (the first paragraph of my initial post), and it was not supposed to be taken out of context.
...but if I need to use many days to learn something ..... is not so easy to learn to use Gimp how do you say, is easy only for the people who used Photoshop before
Rome wasn't built in a day, my friend. It takes time to learn how to use ANY application, and it doesn't mean you have to learn everything in one sitting. No. Learn it one function at a time, and dab in a lot of common sense while you're at it. Of course READING the e-manual and webpages devoted to the Gimp does help tremendously.

Oh, by the way? I never used Photoshop before, despite it's immense worldwide popularity as the de facto standard in photo processing. I started out with Micrografx Picture Publisher. It came bundled free with a scanner I bought years ago and it's what I've been using for many years. Then came Corel PhotoPaint. New interface, different ways of doing the same things, and a bit of a learning curve. BUT, in essence the differences between Picture Publisher and PhotoPaint were, for the most part, only skin deep. Once I learned the basic differences, I was able to use PhotoPaint productively. And now comes the Gimp. Boy was the floating palette intimidating! But that was just an initial impression. I said to myself, "Heh! this is going to be like my transition from Picture Publisher to PhotoPaint." And I was right. All it took was getting used to a different interface and how things are done. It didn't take long for everything else to come falling down instinctively.

And just for sh!ts and giggles I made a quick look-see at Pinta's screenshots. On a superficial level, I can't see any significant difference at how Pinta can be a much more simpler picture editor than the Gimp. I mean the only real difference I see is the non-floating palettes! The core elements -- the main toolbar and tools options -- look pretty much similar with that of the Gimp's. The difference between the two interfaces is just skin-deep. But I think as far as the basic principles behind how images are edited is essentially the same.
Last edited by Pilosopong Tasyo on Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
burjans

Post by burjans »

It is only one idea, do not worry, Mint's team is agree with you :D

Thanks for your comments :wink:
Jix

Post by Jix »

I'm pretty good with Photoshop but I hate Gimp. It tries to be like PS and that is its downfall. You expect all the menus and features to work the same but they don't, at least on a logical level. I'd prefer having a simpler application in its place as long as it has the following features:

Various file format saves
Compression Quality
Brightness/Contrast
Resize
Crop
Sharpen
Blur
Marquee Select
Layers
Foxy14Girl

Post by Foxy14Girl »

GIMP rocks. it is easy to use. heck, i am 14 and it only took me a lil bit of time playin around with it to get the hang of it. GIMP is and always will be #1 in the picture editing business :lol:
all the others.... well.. :roll: :arrow: borninggggg
Robfuscate
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Robfuscate »

Jix wrote:I'm pretty good with Photoshop but I hate Gimp. It tries to be like PS and that is its downfall. You expect all the menus and features to work the same but they don't, at least on a logical level. I'd prefer having a simpler application in its place as long as it has the following features:

Various file format saves
Compression Quality
Brightness/Contrast
Resize
Crop
Sharpen
Blur
Marquee Select
Layers
Damn me. I must have said this, I just don't remember doing so!
I have GIMP, use it, and hate it. What I'm after is something simple to replace Microsoft Office Picture Manager that just does 5 or 6 basic things as the man says!
Lumikki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lumikki »

I have actually been looking replacement (linux software) for my Paint Shop Pro 4.12. What is very early version of Paint Shop Pro. Something between Gimp and Paint.

PSP 4.12 can do something what I haven't seen any other editor do easyly, ability edit floting picture part, before adding them to other picture. Basicly this mean You can take small part of other picture and put it in other picture and edit it before it goes in. Like rotating, resizing, change of colors while it's still floating object in the mouse. You can do this without layers, on the fly.

I was my self looking some softwares, but have no experiece them yet:

Seashore: http://seashore.sourceforge.net/The_Sea ... About.html
Cinepaint: http://www.cinepaint.org/
Asus P7P55D, i5 750 2.6Ghz, 8GB DDR3, GeForce 750Ti, 80GB Intel SSD, Dell 1600x1200, Dual boot, Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon, Windows 7
diane21

Post by diane21 »

ReaConverter a Simple and user-friendly basic image editor. It has many features. Good for beginners who doesn't know much about image editing and dislike to spend too much time learning about new things like batch converter
Last edited by diane21 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

There is also "gpaint" (GNU Paint).
Detonate

Post by Detonate »

You might try fotoxx, it's in the repositories. I like it.
brmccarty

Post by brmccarty »

Actually just discovered Pinta a few days ago while looking for a simple program for my wife to crop and adjust brightness of pictures she post of the things she makes. It fits the role perfectly, so perfectly that is now on my system also. I love Gimp and will probably always use it, but for a quick crop or touch up it's hard to beat Pinta.
clair

Post by clair »

Detonate wrote:You might try fotoxx, it's in the repositories. I like it.
I agree - I'm a web designer and I often need to tweak images. On windows I was wedded to Faststone Image Viewer, but on Linux I was at a loss. Fotoxx is very good. At first cropping was an issue - was very "non-intuitive" until I read a review that explained that the Trim function was really a crop function. You just have to set the ration at 1:1 and then drag the corners.

Cheers,
Clair

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”