LMDE BREAKAGES - tracking TESTING

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
viking777

Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - read here first - Update 16 mar 2011

Post by viking777 »

Right, if it is of any use to you, I happily removed libgtkhtml-editor0 without any noticeable errors or problems. However I don't have a clue what xiphos is or does, and I don't know either if it is related to libgtkhtml-editor0 in any way, so maybe it is best that you don't remove either just yet until you hear from someone who does use xiphos.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Code: Select all

Commit Log for Sat Mar 19 16:17:24 2011

Upgraded the following packages:
firmware-linux-free (2.6.32-30) to 2.6.32-31
libpango1.0-0 (1.28.3-1+squeeze1) to 1.28.3-1+squeeze2
libpango1.0-common (1.28.3-1+squeeze1) to 1.28.3-1+squeeze2
linux-base (2.6.32-30) to 2.6.32-31
linux-headers-2.6.32-5-amd64 (2.6.32-30) to 2.6.32-31
linux-headers-2.6.32-5-common (2.6.32-30) to 2.6.32-31
linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64 (2.6.32-30) to 2.6.32-31
linux-libc-dev (2.6.32-30) to 2.6.32-31
python (2.6.6-3+squeeze5) to 2.6.6-3+squeeze6
python-minimal (2.6.6-3+squeeze5) to 2.6.6-3+squeeze6
xserver-common (2:1.7.7-11) to 2:1.7.7-13
xserver-xorg-core (2:1.7.7-11) to 2:1.7.7-13
xserver-xorg-video-intel (2:2.13.0-5) to 2:2.13.0-6

Commit Log for Sat Mar 19 08:44:30 2011

Upgraded the following packages:
gparted (0.7.0-1) to 0.8.0-2
libasyncns0 (0.3-1.1) to 0.8-1
libavcodec52 (5:0.6.1+svn20101128-0.2) to 5:0.6.1+svn20110308-0.0
libavformat52 (5:0.6.1+svn20101128-0.2) to 5:0.6.1+svn20110308-0.0
libavutil50 (5:0.6.1+svn20101128-0.2) to 5:0.6.1+svn20110308-0.0
libpostproc51 (5:0.6.1+svn20101128-0.2) to 5:0.6.1+svn20110308-0.0
libswscale0 (5:0.6.1+svn20101128-0.2) to 5:0.6.1+svn20110308-0.0
libvpx0 (0.9.5-2) to 0.9.6-1
menu (2.1.44) to 2.1.45
mplayer (3:1.0~rc4-0.1) to 3:1.0~rc4+svn20110308-0.0
python-nevow (0.10.0-2) to 0.10.0-3

Installed the following packages:
gpart (0.1h-11+b1)
libx264-114 (1:0.svn20110226-0.0)
Ciaw,
these are my 2 last logs, from today and yesterday;
I don't have xiphos installed, but if i do right now

sudo apt-get install xiphos
i get this

amadeu@amadeu ~ $ sudo apt-get install xiphos
[sudo] password for amadeu: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  python-keyring bzrtools libexo-0.3-0 libdesktop-agnostic-fdo-glib ttf-dustin
  libexo-common python-launchpadlib python-oauth python-bzrlib
  python-pyinotify libdesktop-agnostic-vfs-gio libdesktop-agnostic0
  libdesktop-agnostic-cfg-gconf libthunar-vfs-1-2 vala-desktop-agnostic
  python-desktop-agnostic gnome-extra-icons bzr libgtkglext1
  libxfce4util-common python-configobj thunar-data libxfce4util4
  python-lazr.uri python-xklavier libxfce4util-bin libimlib2
  python-lazr.restfulclient python-wadllib libetpan13 python-dateutil
  python-gweather
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following extra packages will be installed:
  libclucene0ldbl libmozjs2d libsword8 xiphos-data xulrunner-1.9.1
Suggested packages:
  sword-text
Recommended packages:
  sword-frontend
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libclucene0ldbl libmozjs2d libsword8 xiphos xiphos-data xulrunner-1.9.1
0 upgraded, 6 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 15.4 MB of archives.
After this operation, 38.9 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
Get:1 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main libclucene0ldbl amd64 0.9.21b-2+b1 [370 kB]
Get:2 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main libmozjs2d amd64 1.9.1.17-1 [434 kB]
Get:3 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main libsword8 amd64 1.6.1+dfsg-2+b1 [814 kB]
Get:4 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main xulrunner-1.9.1 amd64 1.9.1.17-1 [8,440 kB]
Get:5 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main xiphos-data all 3.1.4-2 [4,965 kB]
Get:6 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main xiphos amd64 3.1.4-2 [393 kB] 
Fetched 15.4 MB in 35s (429 kB/s)                                              
Selecting previously deselected package libclucene0ldbl.
(Reading database ... 160027 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libclucene0ldbl (from .../libclucene0ldbl_0.9.21b-2+b1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libmozjs2d.
Unpacking libmozjs2d (from .../libmozjs2d_1.9.1.17-1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libsword8.
Unpacking libsword8 (from .../libsword8_1.6.1+dfsg-2+b1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package xulrunner-1.9.1.
Unpacking xulrunner-1.9.1 (from .../xulrunner-1.9.1_1.9.1.17-1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package xiphos-data.
Unpacking xiphos-data (from .../xiphos-data_3.1.4-2_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package xiphos.
Unpacking xiphos (from .../xiphos_3.1.4-2_amd64.deb) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Setting up libclucene0ldbl (0.9.21b-2+b1) ...
Setting up libmozjs2d (1.9.1.17-1) ...
Setting up libsword8 (1.6.1+dfsg-2+b1) ...
Setting up xulrunner-1.9.1 (1.9.1.17-1) ...
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9.1/xulrunner-stub to provide /usr/bin/xulrunner-stub (xulrunner-stub) in auto mode.
Setting up xiphos-data (3.1.4-2) ...
Setting up xiphos (3.1.4-2) ...
amadeu@amadeu ~ $ 
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

viking777 wrote:Right, if it is of any use to you, I happily removed libgtkhtml-editor0 without any noticeable errors or problems. However I don't have a clue what xiphos is or does, and I don't know either if it is related to libgtkhtml-editor0 in any way, so maybe it is best that you don't remove either just yet until you hear from someone who does use xiphos.
I thought I had heard the name before so I checked. Xiphos is an open source bible study software (http://xiphos.org/) that is apparently already available in the Ubuntu repos and the LMDE repos although for some reason, typing the term "xiphos" in the Mint Menu search bar will not find it like it does other applications that can be installed. Not too sure why that is.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

kmb42vt wrote: ... but not in the LMDE/Debian repos though it can be added via it's own (Ubuntu) PPA. Like most .debs designed for Ubuntu/Ubuntu based distros it's questionable as to whether it would run correctly on LMDE or not. Unless someone using LMDE already has it running?

Get:5 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing/main xiphos-data all 3.1.4-2 [4,965 kB]
as a test i got it right now just to check if it was or not installable.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

zerozero wrote:
kmb42vt wrote: ... but not in the LMDE/Debian repos though it can be added via it's own (Ubuntu) PPA. Like most .debs designed for Ubuntu/Ubuntu based distros it's questionable as to whether it would run correctly on LMDE or not. Unless someone using LMDE already has it running?

as a test i got it right now just to check if it was or not installable.
I changed my post as I took it for granted (something I should never do) that if the Mint Menu search bar didn't find it that it didn't exist in the repos. It does actually although why it doesn't show up when searched via the Mint Menu is a puzzle. Xiphos is included in the "/testing main" (ftp.debian.org) repo as shown in Synaptic's "Origin" filter list like you said. Sorry I didn't catch that before I submitted my post.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darethehair »

Bleh! For my last update of LMDE, I did *not* get an automatic-nice-transition from OO to LibreO. In the end, I had to (manually) completely remove OO first, and then install LibreO -- and also add back some of the stuff that I overdid deletes for. Nope, I did not panic and I was not angry -- just a bit curious why I ran into that situation :)
There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

darethehair wrote:Bleh! For my last update of LMDE, I did *not* get an automatic-nice-transition from OO to LibreO. In the end, I had to (manually) completely remove OO first, and then install LibreO -- and also add back some of the stuff that I overdid deletes for. Nope, I did not panic and I was not angry -- just a bit curious why I ran into that situation :)
That depends on how you did the update. If you accomplished the update via MintUpdate (in the tray) that could have been the reason since MintUpdate is not designed to work properly in LMDE yet (if set at the default levels 1, 2, and 3). If you accomplished the update via the terminal using just "sudo apt-get upgrade" (after using "sudo apt-get update" first of course) that might also keep LibreOffice from replacing OO since that particular command holds certain packages back as well. If you had accomplished the update via Synaptic by checking for and marking all available upgrades or using "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" via the terminal then that should have replaced OO with LO although you would still have to purge OO packages as many are left behind after the update as was discussed earlier in this thread.

Hmmm, got a bit wordy there. So how did you perform the update? :D
darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darethehair »

kmb42vt wrote:That depends on how you did the update. If you accomplished the update via MintUpdate (in the tray) that could have been the reason since MintUpdate is not designed to work properly in LMDE yet (if set at the default levels 1, 2, and 3). If you accomplished the update via the terminal using just "sudo apt-get upgrade" (after using "sudo apt-get update" first of course) that might also keep LibreOffice from replacing OO since that particular command holds certain packages back as well. If you had accomplished the update via Synaptic by checking for and marking all available upgrades or using "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" via the terminal then that should have replaced OO with LO although you would still have to purge OO packages as many are left behind after the update as was discussed earlier in this thread.

Wow, you know your update theory :) What I did was 'apt-get update' & 'apt-get dist-upgrade'. I did this on two machines, with similar behavior. Actually, I already *had* LibreO beside OO -- I wonder if that is what through it off track? I ended up with *just* OO. Trying to install LibreO after this is what got me into trouble -- but it eventually worked out :)
There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

darethehair wrote:
kmb42vt wrote:That depends on how you did the update. If you accomplished the update via MintUpdate (in the tray) that could have been the reason since MintUpdate is not designed to work properly in LMDE yet (if set at the default levels 1, 2, and 3). If you accomplished the update via the terminal using just "sudo apt-get upgrade" (after using "sudo apt-get update" first of course) that might also keep LibreOffice from replacing OO since that particular command holds certain packages back as well. If you had accomplished the update via Synaptic by checking for and marking all available upgrades or using "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" via the terminal then that should have replaced OO with LO although you would still have to purge OO packages as many are left behind after the update as was discussed earlier in this thread.

Wow, you know your update theory :) What I did was 'apt-get update' & 'apt-get dist-upgrade'. I did this on two machines, with similar behavior. Actually, I already *had* LibreO beside OO -- I wonder if that is what through it off track? I ended up with *just* OO. Trying to install LibreO after this is what got me into trouble -- but it eventually worked out :)
Okay, yup. Having LO already installed as well as OO probably caused the confusion. In fact it pretty much guarantees your recent experiences when updating LMDE. :shock: Not to worry though. There's been more than a few confusing moments during updating since Debian Squeeze went gold and Debian Testing went back to...well...Testing, and I'm sure there will be more until LMDE becomes more mature and still, a rolling distro based on Debian Testing, although inherently stable, is still going to toss you a curve ball now and then. :D
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I thought this is the proper command to use to both get the updates and also all packages installed with no hold backs (except of course if it asks you about replacing something that will remove something else that you may not want removed such as what happened with the vlc player for example)...

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
feffer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feffer »

When I previously ran a rolling release, sidux (debian sid based) the procedure for updating was as root:

#apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
Is this what we could/should do in LMDE? Additionally, sidux users were told to log out of X and do this in a CL only runlevel. The purpose being to avoid updating any X stuff will running it. Is that also advisable in LMDE?
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

craig10x wrote:I thought this is the proper command to use to both get the updates and also all packages installed with no hold backs (except of course if it asks you about replacing something that will remove something else that you may not want removed such as what happened with the vlc player for example)...

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Yup, that's the one. Some folks tend to leave the "sudo" part off a terminal command when they post to a forum. It can be confusing I know, since not all terminal commands require to be run as root which is what the "sudo" prefix does for you. Overtime you become familiar which of the most used terminal command require to be run as root or not. Heck, I'm still learning myself. :D
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

feffer wrote:When I previously ran a rolling release, sidux (debian sid based) the procedure for updating was as root:

#apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
Is this what we could/should do in LMDE? Additionally, sidux users were told to log out of X and do this in a CL only runlevel. The purpose being to avoid updating any X stuff will running it. Is that also advisable in LMDE?
If you're comfortable dropping out into a command prompt to perform the upgrade then certainly, especially when updates to "X" are involved but you don't necessarily have too. At least I've haven't encountered any problems with updating X while still in the DE so far (you notice I said, "so far"?) And yes, you have the commands right for LMDE as well.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

About doing updates on x or out, we had a while back a good chat about it, and i just want to highlight h2-1 post:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 40#p392382
feffer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feffer »

About doing updates on x or out, we had a while back a good chat about it, and i just want to highlight h2-1 post:

viewtopic.php?f=141&t=67561&start=40#p392382
Ha, thx. I was a long time user of sidux, predecessor of aptosid (darned dogmatists :wink: ) Actually, I enjoyed that distro a lot. Plenty of savvy users there. The drama got the best of me. Hoping LMDE can manage the rolling release process. :)

feffer
feffer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feffer »

OK, after doing the dist-upgrade and purging the openoffice leftovers cited earlier in the thread, I simulated "autoremove" and got (as root):

# apt-get autoremove -s
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libreoffice-gnome libreoffice-gtk
I don't think I want to remove those libreoffice items or are they transitional things I can do without?

feffer
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

basically you won't break libreoffice, but will take some functionalities from it; it's up to you;
You can extend the functionality of LibreOffice by installing these
packages:
* hunspell-*/myspell-*: Hunspell/Myspell dictionaries
for use with LibreOffice
* libreoffice-l10n-*: UI interface translation
* libreoffice-help-*: User help
* mythes-*: Thesauri for the use with LibreOffice
* hyphen-*: Hyphenation patterns for LibreOffice
* libreoffice-gtk: Gtk UI Plugin, GNOME File Picker support,
QuickStarter for GNOMEs notification are
* libreoffice-gnome: GNOME VFS, GConf backend

* libreoffice-kde: KDE UI Plugin and KDE File Picker support
* menu: Will add libreoffice menu entries for every Debian window manager.
* unixodbc: ODBC database support
* cups-bsd: Allows LibreOffice to detect your CUPS printer queues
automatically
* libsane: Use your sane-supported scanner with LibreOffice
* libxrender1: Speed up display by using Xrender library
* libgl1: OpenGL support
* openclipart-libreoffice: Open Clip Art Gallery with LibreOffice index
files
* iceweasel | firefox | icedove | thunderbird | iceape-browser | mozilla-browser:
Mozilla profile with Certificates needed for XML Security...
* openjdk-6-jre | gcj-jre | java5-runtime:
Java Runtime Environment for use with LibreOffice
* pstoedit / imagemagick: helper tools for EPS thumbnails
* gstreamer0.10-plugins-*: GStreamer plugins for use with LibreOffices
media backend
* libpaper-utils: papersize detection support via paperconf
* libldap-2.4-2: LDAP client library; needed for LibreOffice getting its
profiles from LDAP
CiaW

Post by CiaW »

zerozero,
after your message about successfully installing xiphos (formerly gnomesword), I decided to do the dist-upgrade and let it be removed. I then installed it again and pulled it up and used it a bit and with a short test-drive it seems to work fine. On the new install of xiphos It removed libgtkhtml-editor-common and installed libgtkhtml-editor-3.14-0 libgtkhtml-editor-3.14-common xiphos. Why it couldn't do that in the first place I don't understand, but at least it re-installed a newer version and it appears to all be good.

Thanks!
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

zerozero wrote:basically you won't break libreoffice, but will take some functionalities from it; it's up to you;
You can extend the functionality of LibreOffice by installing these
packages:
* hunspell-*/myspell-*: Hunspell/Myspell dictionaries
for use with LibreOffice
* libreoffice-l10n-*: UI interface translation
* libreoffice-help-*: User help
* mythes-*: Thesauri for the use with LibreOffice
* hyphen-*: Hyphenation patterns for LibreOffice
* libreoffice-gtk: Gtk UI Plugin, GNOME File Picker support,
QuickStarter for GNOMEs notification are
* libreoffice-gnome: GNOME VFS, GConf backend

* libreoffice-kde: KDE UI Plugin and KDE File Picker support
* menu: Will add libreoffice menu entries for every Debian window manager.
* unixodbc: ODBC database support
* cups-bsd: Allows LibreOffice to detect your CUPS printer queues
automatically
* libsane: Use your sane-supported scanner with LibreOffice
* libxrender1: Speed up display by using Xrender library
* libgl1: OpenGL support
* openclipart-libreoffice: Open Clip Art Gallery with LibreOffice index
files
* iceweasel | firefox | icedove | thunderbird | iceape-browser | mozilla-browser:
Mozilla profile with Certificates needed for XML Security...
* openjdk-6-jre | gcj-jre | java5-runtime:
Java Runtime Environment for use with LibreOffice
* pstoedit / imagemagick: helper tools for EPS thumbnails
* gstreamer0.10-plugins-*: GStreamer plugins for use with LibreOffices
media backend
* libpaper-utils: papersize detection support via paperconf
* libldap-2.4-2: LDAP client library; needed for LibreOffice getting its
profiles from LDAP
zerozero - Would you mind confirming something for me? In Synaptic check Hunspell (en-us) to be installed and see if the pre-installation dialog box states that Thunderbird will be removed during the installation. I ran across this when I needed to re-install the spell check dictionary after the LO installation the other day. I remembered using Hunspell in OO before without a problem so I was surprised that installing Hunspell in LMDE would result in the removal of Thunderbird (probably a conflict with the dictionary TB uses for spell checking?). I eneded up installing Myspell (en-us) instead. I'm just interested if you see the same thing.

Nice list by the way, thanks.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

@kmb42vt,
yes, i can confirm that: if i try to install hunspell, synaptic wants to remove thunderbird, even if i say yes, after when i want to install thunderbird back, hunspell gets removed :( so at least atm both it's a no-go

Return to “LMDE Archive”