Kernel Panic after dist-upgrade Debian Mint

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
abmunguia

Kernel Panic after dist-upgrade Debian Mint

Post by abmunguia »

I had installed Debian version (201009) on a Toshiba satellite A75-S229 and everything was fine.. Except until I made sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.

I got several kernel panic messages at the moment that it restarts.. (after the grub selection)
It freezes.

Is there a problem on hardware compatibility? (I don't think so)
What can I do?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vincent

Re: Kernel Panic after dist-upgrade Debian Mint

Post by vincent »

Strange...I run a perfectly up-to-date Debian Testing on my laptop, and have no trouble booting, so this would indicate that it's likely to be an issue with your own hardware (or some kind of compatibility issue). Do you recall what updates dist-upgrade installed for you? And do you have any non-default repositories in your sources.list (e.g. are you running Sid/experimental, or did you fetch packages from there for whatever reason?).
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

i also have one vanilla (and fully updated) LMDE, and it's running just fine today as yesterday or the day before;
But there are already a couple reports about issues with ATI cards after this weekend update;
just guessing here if can be related to that?
kwevej

Post by kwevej »

boot from a live CD

1. chroot to your hdd
2. install apt-log
3. apt-log -c 2011-03-19 (will show changes since 19.3.)
4. remove the installed stuff

...next time, have a backup of your system partition http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p395329
vyper

Post by vyper »

Had this happen too this morning. Did a dist-upgrade last thing on Sunday, booted today and got this. Recovered by reverting to older ver in grub. Interestingly I too am running an ATI card (proprietary drivers).

Kernel panic is not my idea of a healthy breakfast. :?

Edit: for your information folks, I'm running Julia, gnome edition. It was the upgrade to 35-28 kernel that led to my unpleasant start to the day, and booting to 35-27 that fixed it.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I did the updates and did not get that...And i have ATI on my toshiba laptop...however, i am NOT using the proprietary drivers just the regular one that comes pre-installed...so perhaps it is only a problem when you use that...
vyper

Post by vyper »

craig10x wrote:I did the updates and did not get that...And i have ATI on my toshiba laptop...however, i am NOT using the proprietary drivers just the regular one that comes pre-installed...so perhaps it is only a problem when you use that...
Indeed and an update to the latest catalyst drivers solved the problem.

Return to “LMDE Archive”