Wasn't for me

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Dr.m0x

Wasn't for me

Post by Dr.m0x »

So I ran lmde for a few days but in the end it wasn't for me. I thought I'd try it because the lure of extra speed was tempting and also the thought of not having to reinstall every six months.

I can read and I was aware there would be more breakage but I didn't realise that it would in my case be several apps I use and not the system itself. I have had experience running a rolling distro before in the face of pclinuxos. I have now discovered that is an entirely different breast. The packages there undergo rigorous testing before they enter the repos. Debian testing on the other hand, as I now realise, is where the testing gets done.

Sadly lmde is yet another distro I have toyed with before resuming my main pleasure. Minty Ubuntu Gnome. Still it was fun and that's half the reason I have to try these things. I also learned just a little bit more about linux and the under the hood workings.

I am not denigrating the distro in any way, on the contrary I can see why many would like it, just sharing my experience of it. Unfortunately I've been spoilt by Mint main and prefer my main computer to be fully functional. Still gonna run lmde on my netbook because it's faster and it's more of a machine for kicks anyway.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: Wasn't for me

Post by dawgdoc »

Any chance you could let us know which apps? In case the question comes up from others about their usability, or in case anyone else has been able to get them to work.
Piilen

Post by Piilen »

I agree with Dr.m0x, I also ran the 64 bits version of LMDE for about 3 weeks, and I enjoyed the new versions of say LibreOffice - but I ran into problems with hpodder that sometimes refused to fetch podcasts containing danish letters. I also had a problem with programs "capturing" the sound, so other programs couldn't play sound. (probably PulseAudio problem?)
I also had problems with getting VLC to play all videoformats - but managed to get it working most of the time.

In the end I have gone back to my trusted Mint 9 64 bits install - it simply works.
I'll probably install the Mint 11 when it comes out.
Like Dr.m0x my old Asus EEE still runs LMDE without any problems and to my satisfaction - but for my main system I like that everything works all the time.

I'll try out the Debian edition again when it's more matured.
Thanks for all the great work by the Mint Team.
anzan

Post by anzan »

Well, you could just set the sources to Squeeze or stable.
mads

Post by mads »

Piilen wrote:...I also had a problem with programs "capturing" the sound, so other programs couldn't play sound. (probably PulseAudio problem?)
I'll try out the Debian edition again when it's more matured.
Hi. I am running Debian edition (both 64 and 32 bit on 2 different systems). I think several of the issues you have mentioned will be gone after
removing PulseAudio. Here is a tutorial if you later want to give LMDE a new try: How To: Completely remove PulseAudio & replace it with ALSA

Return to “LMDE Archive”