multiple desktops

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Roel
Level 1
Level 1

multiple desktops

Post by Roel »

I don't consider me to be a newbie but I think this questions qualifies for this forum :)

I've grown used to have multiple desktops, with a desktop switching thingy in the taskbar. I'ts annoying that Ubuntu only enables 2 by default but where did they go in Mint?

If I enable the Beryl cube I have 4 again but I'd rather not have it running all the time because it makes my music lag if I do some audio editing and it has to be disabled to run games anyway.

What do I have to do to get 4 desktops?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

You could add the Workspace Switcher to your tool panel (task bar). Right-Click on an empty part of the tool panel and select Add to Panel...

Note that Workspaces and Viewports are not the same. Beryl uses a single workspace with 4 viewports, while the GNOME Workspace Switcher uses 4 workspaces with a single viewport each.

Aloha, Tim
Roel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Roel »

Thanks,

I added them but when I switched the taskbar was gone so I had to ctrl-backspace, it's working now but it lags when I switch.

I also did some quick reading about workspace vs viewports :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”