I installed jockey-gtk from Ubuntu repository

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ddavid123
Level 2
Level 2

I installed jockey-gtk from Ubuntu repository

Post by ddavid123 »

I decided to try to install jockey-gtk from the Ubuntu Maverick repository. I only needed to download jockey-gtk, jockey-common, and python-xkit. First I installed gdebi by typing "sudo apt-get install gdebi-core" into the terminal. Then I downloaded the needed packages python-xkit-> "http://packages.ubuntu.com/maverick/all ... t/download" jockey-common -> "http://packages.ubuntu.com/maverick/all ... n/download" and jockey-gtk -> "http://packages.ubuntu.com/maverick/all ... k/download"

cd in to the /home/[your-home-directory]/Downloads directory and then type "sudo gdebi /home/[your-home-directory]/Downloads/python-xkit_0.4.2.2_all.deb", then "sudo gdebi /home/[your-home-directory]/Downloads/jockey-common_0.5.10-0ubuntu5_all.deb", and lastly "sudo gdebi /home/ddavid123/Downloads/jockey-gtk_0.5.10-0ubuntu5_all.deb". Then restart X and you "should" find an "Additional Drivers" listing in the mint menu! I decided to use the Maverick repos because I figured jockey would be much more stable. As far as I can tell, it is working flawlessly because I see no error output in the terminal and it detected the Virtualbox guest editions module. But to be honest, I expected much more trouble!

If the community at large thinks this is a good workaround, I may submit it as a tutorial in the community website. But if Clem or anyone in the mint team thinks this is a bad idea, then I will not. 8) You notice I am doing this in a Virtual Machine.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rob2uk

Re: I installed jockey-gtk from Ubuntu repository

Post by rob2uk »

ddavid123 wrote:Then restart X and you "should" find an "Additional Drivers" listing in the mint menu!
This is already in MintMenu on a default install...
ddavid123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ddavid123 »

rob2uk wrote:
ddavid123 wrote:Then restart X and you "should" find an "Additional Drivers" listing in the mint menu!
In LMDE? I have never seen it. it was not installed in my system. Must have missed an update or something!
rob2uk

Post by rob2uk »

ddavid123 wrote:
rob2uk wrote:
In LMDE? I have never seen it. it was not installed in my system. Must have missed an update or something!

Ah, bugger. I wasn't paying attention... Apologies
ddavid123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ddavid123 »

No problem! Happens to me from time to time. You did have me going for a second! :lol:
m.keane

Post by m.keane »

Without coming off too brash I must point out the errors with this route taken.
Jockey requires a distribution-specific implementation in certain parts. It also
requires distribution-specific implementations of modaliases, which you will
only be able to test outside of a virtualbox environment using a system known
to work with Jockey (i.e. ATi or nVidia that requires proprietary drivers)

Yes, you have installed Jockey GTK in VirtualBox. That doesn't mean its going
to work or do anything.

Return to “LMDE Archive”