Today's updates got me again (twice) FYI

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Today's updates got me again (twice) FYI

Post by malligt »

There were 7 updates today.....one or more of them "did me in"...

I've gotta say, "Expect rough edges".....I'm living proof.

When I go to shutdown-restart, the laundry list of shutting down rolls out, and then computer just hangs....

I have to hold the power-button down to turn it off....as it would not restart.

It happened on my desktop, and laptop debian LMDE 32 bit.

And in addition, there is a violent tearing of the video image on my laptop with this shutdown process. Was NEVER there before today.

I'm beginning to not like LMDE for this update-thingy has bricked my computer more times than you'd like me to reveal here.

Gosh darn it anyway...doesn't somebody pre-test these updates? It's getting to be almost commonplace.

I truly hope the rest of your did not experience this with your updates today.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Today's updates got me again (twice) FYI

Post by viking777 »

You didn't allow it to install kexec-tools did you?

If you did you should have read the forums before updating as this was reported yesterday (by me). Of course if that isn't the problem then I apologise.
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

Yes, I'm afraid I did install that one.....he said....smacking his forehead with open fist....

Reminder to myself for yet another LMDE "Sticky" on my pc's monitor...to Never EVER Update LMDE until I read the forum first....geesh, you think I'd have figured it out by now....<embarrassed>

Maybe that warning should be on the LMDE update manager, too? !
viking777

Post by viking777 »

malligt wrote:Yes, I'm afraid I did install that one.....he said....smacking his forehead with open fist....

Reminder to myself for yet another LMDE "Sticky" on my pc's monitor...to Never EVER Update LMDE until I read the forum first....geesh, you think I'd have figured it out by now....<embarrassed>

Maybe that warning should be on the LMDE update manager, too? !
Smack yourself on the forehead again.

You shoudn't be using the update manager on LMDE it doesn't work properly, you should be using the command line or the package manager. Use the update manager to warn you of updates by all means, but switch to one of the other solutions for the update itself. This has been discussed at length on the LMDE forum.

A simple solution to your problem which you might like to consider is to subscribe to the LMDE breakages thread so you receive email alerts about update problems - hopefully before you encounter them for yourself.

BTW all you need to do is to unistall kexec-tools (and then use synaptic to pin the uninstalled program - it will do that quite happily) your computer will return to normal and you won't be bothered by that unnecessary program again.
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

Thank you so much.

I actually caused this grief with the terminal. not mintupdate....on auto-pilot I guess....too much stress from having my car go to the shop (on a tow truck).....I am just not myself today...

I did a complete removal uninstall of kexec with synaptic. I'm not comfortably familiar with how to pin something in synaptic.

I'm not clear on how to subscribe to the breakages thread you mention. Please advise.

Thank you. Thank you.

EDIT: After my complete removal (above), I've just ran the sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, and the kexec-tools is not present.

EDIT (2): I am clear on your LMDE breakage thread...and the pinning in synaptic.

Just a bad bad day....finally over.

Thanks for all the help viking777
Last edited by malligt on Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xircon

Post by xircon »

Auto pilot is the main reason I screw up too, after a long day at work :( Though saying that everything OK here, kexec installed and working (LMDE64), just rebooted OK.

Updated around 17:30 (GMT UK)

Steve
xircon

Post by xircon »

Auto pilot is the main reason I screw up too, after a long day at work :( Though saying that everything OK here, kexec installed and working (LMDE64), just rebooted OK.

Updated around 17:30 (GMT UK)

Steve
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

fiy that's not a bug, that's a "feature" :mrgreen:

one easily removed though
viking777

Post by viking777 »

gotjazz wrote:fiy that's not a bug, that's a "feature" :mrgreen:

one easily removed though
So having your computer run like a slug in wet cement and not being able to boot into another distro is a "feature" eh?

Interesting tell me more.

Return to “LMDE Archive”