Firefox 3.6.14/15?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
hxu

Firefox 3.6.14/15?

Post by hxu »

Hi,
Sorry if this sounds not a right question. But does anybody know why the firefox package is not upgrading to the latest 3.6.14/15? I can see quite some security fixes for 3.6.14.

Regards
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: Firefox 3.6.14/15?

Post by JasonLG »

hxu wrote:Hi,
Sorry if this sounds not a right question. But does anybody know why the firefox package is not upgrading to the latest 3.6.14/15? I can see quite some security fixes for 3.6.14.

Regards
It takes a little bit for the updates to filter down.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Sometimes new upgraded packages have seemingly recursive dependencies (adding X makes Y uninstallable, Y is waiting for X).

This means the new version of X will break the old version of Y, but there's also a new version of Y that needs the new version of X.

As soon as all other dependencies are solved, the two packages can be hinted to go in together.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself :lol: :lol:

Usually, it takes a certain amount of time for a newer/updated/upgraded App to filter from the Developer to whichever version of an OS Distro you are using.

This could be anywhere from 3-10 days for Debian-unstable to 2 years for Debian-stable and anywhere in-between.
Most Ubuntu-based releases usually get updated around every 30 days or so depending on the dependancies and degree of stability.

Just because an App/Program has been released by it's Developers does not make it 'stable'
Some OS's like Debian, have very stringant guidelines and testing processes before they add something or upgrade to 'newer'
With Ubuntu not so much ... but, then things do have a tendancy to break easier and more often.
hxu

Post by hxu »

Thank you guys for the explanation. I will wait patiently then. Hopefully it will not be 2 years :)
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The default LMDE is Debian Testing, not Stable. It won't take 2 years then.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Let's not forget that Firefox is a Mint's pkg, so it's basically up to Clem to update it; Debian doesn't has Firefox in its repos
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

zerozero wrote:Let's not forget that Firefox is a Mint's pkg, so it's basically up to Clem to update it; Debian doesn't has Firefox in its repos
Very true. Both Firefox and Thunderbird have been packaged by Clem for Debian and thus LMDE for awhile now. In the past the updates to these two programs were coming in on a pretty regular but that seems to have slowed down quite a bit for both. I'm guessing that development of LM 11 might have something to do with this as I figure Clem and Co. are going to be up to their virtual necks in trying to surgically remove Unity and Gnome 2.32 (and the global menu for that matter) from Natty and then sew on a Gnome 3 classic desktop environment onto Katya without that (add your preferred descriptive term/phrase here) default gnome-shell thing. :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
misGnomer

Post by misGnomer »

I haven't seen any Firefox 4 (just officially released) threads here in LMDE land yet so I hope my question isn't altogether unwelcome here, but apart from theming what are the differences between Clem's LMDE edition and the vanilla one from Mozilla?

LMDE is still stuck at 2.6.13, and with the expected much quicker post-v.4.0 release schedule we might also be waiting for 'native' updates more often in the future.

I used to run the official FF from /opt before LMDE without any noticeable downsides so are there reasons not to go vanilla again?
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

I don't get anyway why noone (maybe even mozilla) runs a debian repo for firefox - but whatever, I'm happy with chrome atm :D
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

oh! just googled a little: http://mozilla.debian.net/
Haven't tried it but looks nice if you can live with the unbranded version
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

gotjazz wrote:I don't get anyway why noone (maybe even mozilla) runs a debian repo for firefox - but whatever, I'm happy with chrome atm :D
Ironically enough, as of last year Firefox and Thunderbird apps were being packaged by Clem and Co. for Debian so as to be included in LMDE and Firefox and Thunderbird were supposed to be kept up to date as LMDE is a rolling release. They were being regularly updated up till last month or so but have obviously fallen behind since. I have no clue nor seen any post or announcement that provides any info as to whether Firefox and Thunderbird are still being packaged for Debian/LMDE by the Mint devs or not but it would seem rather strange that they would just stop for no reason. My guess is the work on the up and coming Katya release is taking up all there time. A lot more work has to go into Katya than any previous release so far (removing Unity and Gnome 2.32 and incorporating Gnome 3 with a classic desktop--no Gnome shell).
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
misGnomer

Post by misGnomer »

gotjazz wrote:oh! just googled a little: http://mozilla.debian.net/
Haven't tried it but looks nice if you can live with the unbranded version
Thanks gotjazz, Im borderline willing to try Iceweasel (with the added benefit of a proper segmented repo) but the vanilla "branded by creators" edition has served me well...

What are the main differences these days?

Wrt. Chrome, I do have the Fickelplatz build of Chromium for those alternative sessions but at least for me Firefox wins in terms of privacy and plugins.

Return to “LMDE Archive”