The Goal of XFCE Community Edition

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Post by Husse »

The XFCE edition aims at being very low on memory, but not on the expense of quality
The gnome version runs OK on 384 MB but from 512 up is nice to have
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

With Xubuntu Gutsy that gap is closing a little.
I have only been on my machine for 25 minutes and it's already at 277.9MBs with 0MBs swap.
I have a GB of Ram but it shouldn't already be that high.
With Celena XFCE BETA it took an hour to get to that level.
It sucks that they went with more Gnome apps and stop making or using the XFCE ones.
Plus there missing the Power management app so I have no way to stop it.
I don't like it when my hard drives shut down and screen shuts off.
I might need to find a way to use xscreensaver instead of gnome-screensaver.
I will look at how much more RAM gnome-screensaver uses.
MartinRF
Level 1
Level 1

Re:

Post by MartinRF »

Husse wrote:The XFCE edition aims at being very low on memory, but not on the expense of quality
I know this is an old thread but it comes close to my question: What difference is there between
installing XFCE on a 'vanilla' Linux Mint system and using XFCE CE?

I do the former (still Linux Mint 3) and don't find much to complain about. I have the latest
Linux Mint and Linux Mint XFCE CE live CDs but comparing them does not answer my question.

Any enlightenment is appreciated.

/Martin
Caraibes
Level 3
Level 3

Re: The Goal of XFCE Community Edition

Post by Caraibes »

Just for the sake of this award: http://beranger.org/index.php?page=diar ... ievements-
I ended up setting up a quad-boot in my main PC. I kept my Ubuntu 8.04.1 (installed in April, works fine...), then I installed Mint Xfce and GoblinX... I have WinXP for some stuff, but I never use it.

I must say I am very impressed with Mint Xfce ! I was never a huge Xfce fan, as I use Gnome on up to date PC's and Fluxbox on older hardware. But this time, Merlwiz79 managed to setup a nice Xfce, very "workable", very sleak !

Of course, I had to remove Mono apps, and add Nautilus (for file sharing between PC's on a home network).

But overall I agree with the award.
FedoraRefugee

Re: Re:

Post by FedoraRefugee »

MartinRF wrote:
Husse wrote:The XFCE edition aims at being very low on memory, but not on the expense of quality
I know this is an old thread but it comes close to my question: What difference is there between
installing XFCE on a 'vanilla' Linux Mint system and using XFCE CE?

I do the former (still Linux Mint 3) and don't find much to complain about. I have the latest
Linux Mint and Linux Mint XFCE CE live CDs but comparing them does not answer my question.

Any enlightenment is appreciated.

/Martin
Merlwiz79 would be the one to answer this, but in my experience there is a huge difference between an Xfce only install and a Gnome install running Xfce. I do not know how "Gnome-centric" Mint is, but Fedora is very much so. You cannot remove Gnome from a running system without borking things badly unless you know exactly what you are doing. The base install just uses too many Gnome packages such as GDM. The way to do it yourself in Fedora is to do a text install while selecting your base system very carefully. Then install the Xfce components. Or just use their Xfce spin, which is decent.

Of course many of us use Xfce for different reasons. I have a modern computer with plenty of RAM. I just like Xfce because it suites my style. But I have many Gnome apps along with a few KDE apps installed. I try to keep things lean, but it is not my major concern. For instance, I am running the latest compiz-fusion goodies using the Shame debian repo.

I will say that I do appreciate the Mint efforts to keep the Xfce edition light. My philosophy has always been that I just want a base system on install. I will install the apps I want from there. I think the Elyssa Xfce edition was the perfect balance out of the box. I hope it stays that way for future releases instead of moving towards that "everything but the kitchen sink" ideal that seems to be taking over in the Linux world.

Return to “Xfce”