[SOLVED] Nvidia drivers

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Chipshotz

[SOLVED] Nvidia drivers

Post by Chipshotz »

After the latest update (3-26) and a reboot, all I have is the blinking cursor in the upper left corner. I realise it's most likely the video drivers but being new to LMDE I have no clue how to resolve it. I can boot to Ubuntu and edit files if necessary.
I have a stock install.
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
colossus75
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Nvidia drivers

Post by colossus75 »

I had issues also with the Nvidia drivers.

I did a clean install of LMDE64 bit. After the clean install and before starting updates, I was at least with 1024x768. After the updates..I am stuck with 640x480.

I removed the xserver-xorg-nouveau and related items..from the nvidia/intel & compiz thread..but that didn't seem to help.

I am currently writing this from my LMDE 64 install @ 640x480 res.

I am also running LMDE 32bit on the same machine, but the LMDE 32 is running nice and smooth @ 1280x1024 which is the native res for my 19" NEC crt screen. I held back the xserver-common and 2 other items..that showed in Synaptic. I also held the same back for the 64bit..just in case..but that didn't help.

I do have a clonezilla image to recover from..which is the vanilla stock LMDE 64 install before any of the updates..with only a few apps added manually (leafpad, gnome commander, gnome-do, uget). I have gone back to that 3x..to then have to re-do all the updates again..over a 5.0 megabit DSL connection.

I am kinda a newbie still, so I don't know which updates regarding nvidia that I should let through and which I should hold back. I am using Synaptic to do the updating/upgrading..since I've read that Mint Update isn't LMDE ready yet. LMDE32 was easier cause it had that Hardware Devices/Drivers thingie in the Mint Menu. I also read someone was doing something similar for LMDE 64..but it is not ready yet.

Any help with setting up the nvidia drivers for LMDE 64 would be great. My system info is in my signature.
Kllisre x79 v2.82a
Intel Xeon E5-2650 v2
16 GB Kllisre DDR3-1333 MHz ECC
500GB Samsung Evo 860 2.5" SATA SSD [OS]
2TB (main data drive EXT4)
2TB (backup data drive EXT4)
twa

Post by twa »

Hi,
I'll suggest install smxi and follow step-by-step
http://smxi.org/
or just install and use sgfxi
:|
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gosa »

twa wrote:Hi,
+1

sgfxi is like a sweet dream for Nvidia cards. It just works.
cecar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cecar »

gosa wrote:
twa wrote:Hi,
+1

sgfxi is like a sweet dream for Nvidia cards. It just works.
sgfxi is a sweet dream for ATI cards as well. :)
MaDxCrEaM

Post by MaDxCrEaM »

Whenever I have had this issue meaning having to re-install nvidia driver, I would delete /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and it would boot into gui fine, then I would use sgfxi to install nvidia drivers.
colossus75
Level 1
Level 1

Post by colossus75 »

MaDxCrEaM wrote:Whenever I have had this issue meaning having to re-install nvidia driver, I would delete /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and it would boot into gui fine, then I would use sgfxi to install nvidia drivers.
Thanks for the help so far, I was able to get sgfxi installed..now I am back to 1024x768 resolution..nvidia control panel is now gone..due to sgfxi I guessing.

My next query is..how do I edit xorg.conf so my resolution can be 1280x1024? Right now under the Monitors tool/app, the max resolution I have listed in 1024x768.

After running sgfxi, do I have to run anything else or install anything via Synaptic so I am able to get my res to 1280x1024?

Thanks for the help again.

UPDATE : I just solved my resolution issue. I copied the Monitor section of my XF86Config file from my LMDE 32 install and pasted it into my xorg.conf Monitor section for my LMDE 64..now I have resolutions to select all the way up to 1280x1024 in the Monitors tool/app :)

copied all of below and pasted to xorg.conf :

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "CRT-0"
HorizSync 30.0 - 110.0
VertRefresh 50.0 - 150.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce 8200"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "TwinView" "0"
Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-0"
Option "metamodes" "1280x1024 +0+0"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Might help some other community members out there..with resolution issues after installing LMDE64 with Nvidia graphics. I kinda got lucky I suppose since I am also using LMDE32 on same machine. That is an extra long step I suppose..install the 32bit LMDE on a system first..just to get the monitor/video related data in the XF86Config file..then install LMDE 64bit. If I installed complete from scratch..dunno if I would have resolved right away.
Kllisre x79 v2.82a
Intel Xeon E5-2650 v2
16 GB Kllisre DDR3-1333 MHz ECC
500GB Samsung Evo 860 2.5" SATA SSD [OS]
2TB (main data drive EXT4)
2TB (backup data drive EXT4)
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gosa »

colossus75 wrote: Thanks for the help so far, I was able to get sgfxi installed..now I am back to 1024x768 resolution..nvidia control panel is now gone..due to sgfxi I guessing...
It just disappeared? That didn't happen to me...

And if you type sudo nvidia-settings in the terminal
(You can skip the sudo and still call nvidia-settings, but then you won't be able to update your xorg.conf with your changes)
Chipshotz

Post by Chipshotz »

OP here.
Thanks all for the help. sgfxi worked excellent and I'm a happy camper.

With this problem I reverted back to Ubuntu, while it is very good it also seems a little bloated compared to LMDE.

I'll wait to mark this thread solved if colossus75 is still having problems.
hbcogil

Re: [SOLVED] Nvidia drivers

Post by hbcogil »

I've struggled with the nvidia problem in LinuxMint 10 for over a week (and am new to LinuxMint). With the nvidia drivers installed the system goes to power save mode after boot. The sgfxi sounded like yet another something I could try to diagnose and fix the problem; but dummy me, I can't seem to find the download link for the sgfxi.zip. What am I missing?
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gosa »

hbcogil wrote:I've struggled with the nvidia problem in LinuxMint 10 for over a week (and am new to LinuxMint). With the nvidia drivers installed the system goes to power save mode after boot. The sgfxi sounded like yet another something I could try to diagnose and fix the problem; but dummy me, I can't seem to find the download link for the sgfxi.zip. What am I missing?
Try here: http://smxi.org/site/install.htm
Choose Option 4, and look for text saying: "Installing sgfxi (non-smxi install)", download and:

Install
hit ctrl-alt-F1 on your keyboard to exit you DE
Login
run sudo sgfxi
follow the instructions

For more detailed instructions on the install, check here: http://techpatterns.com/forums/about933.html
hbcogil

Post by hbcogil »

gosa wrote:
hbcogil wrote:I've struggled with the nvidia problem in LinuxMint 10 for over a week (and am new to LinuxMint). With the nvidia drivers installed the system goes to power save mode after boot. The sgfxi sounded like yet another something I could try to diagnose and fix the problem; but dummy me, I can't seem to find the download link for the sgfxi.zip. What am I missing?
Try here: http://smxi.org/site/install.htm
Choose Option 4, and look for text saying: "Installing sgfxi (non-smxi install)", download and:
I must be dumber than a box of rocks, but I do not find a download link on the page. Anyway, thanks for your reply.
hbcogil

Post by hbcogil »

hbcogil wrote:I must be dumber than a box of rocks, but I do not find a download link on the page. Anyway, thanks for your reply.
I get it. I was looking for a zip file, not a script. Sorry for using time and resources. Thanks.

Return to “LMDE Archive”