SOLVED! Linux Mint Fluxbox 9 doesn't start after update.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MStanchev

SOLVED! Linux Mint Fluxbox 9 doesn't start after update.

Post by MStanchev »

Hello, recently I installed Mint Fluxbox on my pc, everything has seemed fine until today.

After updates my system refused to load - when I write my user name and password in login screen and press Enter it thinks about 5 second with blank screen of wallpaper and put me back to user name field. I am 100% sure that user name and password are correct - have it written on a list of paper. When try to login with root and same password as my main non-root account everything load fine.
Some of the updates that I remember when they are downloading:
google chrome, mozilia firefox 4.0, wincodecs from medibuntu repository

Can you help me with tips how to remove that problem - it seems that fluxbox cant load and put me back to the login screen, like ordinary do when crash occured in this Desktop environment? I don's see any error exept this appeared even before the problem:

Code: Select all

Glib-WARNING**: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown uswr id (0)
httpd2: httpd2: Could not determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName
Thanks.

Edit: when I go with root account this it show this error:

Code: Select all

XSession: unable to launch "startlxde" X session --- "startlxde" not found;
falling back to the default session
I am never istalled lxde, don't know why such error showing.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vinnywright

Re: Linux Mint Fluxbox 9 doesn't start after update.

Post by vinnywright »

Start by searching your home directory for files owned by root.

In a terminal type; ls -lR ~ |grep root

This will list all files possibly owned by root.

If you have any, you can seek them out individually, or simply change ownership of all files in your home to you;

sudo chown -Rv --preserve-root --from=root:root USERNAME:GROUPNAME ~/* ~/.*

should do it.

VINNY

PS: post from @oshunluvr at Kubuntuforums.net ;) give credit ware credit is dew...... :)
MStanchev

Re: Linux Mint Fluxbox 9 doesn't start after update.

Post by MStanchev »

Thanks for the reply Vinny here is what show:

Problem solved! Just need to free up some space on home folder of my non-root user account.

:)

Return to “Software & Applications”