What software can be removed?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
specmod1

What software can be removed?

Post by specmod1 »

I want to make a custom live cd.... A lite cd, 400mb or 500mb ...

I need a list of what can be removed safely....... without damaging the system would be nice if there was a program that would excloud the software without removing from my computer while making the iso

I need video drivers, Internet tools wifi, etc

I do not need Blue tooth, Open office. 10 different video programs... or other blobs of junk, including gimp. games, wallpapers.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
specmod1

Re: What software can be removed?

Post by specmod1 »

ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

Might be easier using a minimal CD and adding in what you do want, than taking something more complete and removing stuff. One thing you won't be able to remove if you use Gnome, is Evolution.
CiaW

Post by CiaW »

The first thing I removed was mono and related apps. (i.e. tomboy notes, I replaced with gnote but never use it). Also you should be able to safely remove pulseaudio. Also evolution email and some gnome related thing that's just a meta package, if you don't use evolution for email.

And, claws mail is smaller than thunderbird for email I think, it's what I use. Unless you need samba you can probably remove that too... that's all I can think of off the top of my head.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

ThistleWeb wrote:...One thing you won't be able to remove if you use Gnome, is Evolution.
I am pretty sure you can. But you have to leave evolution-data-server.

I could be wrong, I installed Windows once. :)
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

I looked into this a bit a few days ago, from what I could find, Gnome won't work at all without Evolution, it's glued into lots of different parts like the calendar, gnome-panel, notes etc As far as I could work out, the only way you avoid Evolution, is to avoid Gnome. I'd like to be wrong however.
CiaW

Post by CiaW »

When LMDE was first released in Sept (32 bit) it didn't have evolution installed by default. Then there was a package that came through the updates called 'gnome-core' that added evolution and some other bits. See: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=62021

From info on that thread, I did this, each is a separate command:

Code: Select all

aptitude keep-all
apt-get remove gnome-core
aptitude keep-all
Then I removed evolution and evolution-common and a couple of other related packages. I did leave evolution-data-server, that is required by other core packages. I kept the info. handy and did the same thing on LMDE 64bit, no evolution installed here anymore.

Return to “LMDE Archive”